Auto populate a sheet based on criteria

Options

Hello, I have a sheet that lists of all company projects with Project Names and many columns of associated date. I would like to have a sheet that automatically populates all of the project names based on a criteria. For example project not run in the U.S. One I have the project names in the the new sheet, I can use Data Mesh add in the other columns, but I am stuck on how to bring in all of the project names. I would like to this to happen automatically when a new project is added to the sheet. I cannot use a report because I need to add additional columns. (It would be great to have the ability to have the query function of a report on a sheet!)

Best Answer

• Samuel Mueller
    Samuel Mueller Overachievers
    Answer ✓
    Options

You can use a report as the source in a datamesh workflow to bring on new projects with a unique id (can only add new lines hourly). Then you can have a second datamesh workflow that only updates data from the source sheet to the target sheet (this one could keep your data updated immediately).

Answers

• Samuel Mueller
    Answer ✓
    Options

You can use a report as the source in a datamesh workflow to bring on new projects with a unique id (can only add new lines hourly). Then you can have a second datamesh workflow that only updates data from the source sheet to the target sheet (this one could keep your data updated immediately).

• TCJ
    TCJ ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thank you Samuel. I had considered this and may as the number of projects grows. I have opted for a manual cut and paste for now. I could also use a hidden helper column as the reference row also.

• Samuel Mueller
    Options

yeah where you have an if statement for your criteria, if it matches the criteria, populate unique ID, otherwise blank, then only the ones where unique ID populates will move over.

I use the report option a lot though, it's easier to set up and adjust if needed, and you don't need helper columns.

• TCJ
    TCJ ✭✭✭✭
    Options

What I would really like to see (but may be technically hard) it the ability to have "report" or "query columns" with in a sheet, where you would have the full usability of each. I often want to pull specific data such as project data, for specific projects based on criteria, then add additional columns to it that will be used for a select purpose.

• Samuel Mueller
    Options

You could maybe leverage dataTable for that.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!