I need to calculate the estimated end date of a project based on working days

Options

To calculate the end date of my project, I need a formula that would take today's date and add the number of working days left to it. I keep getting an Invalid data type error.

The Today's Date column and my Estimated project finish date column are both set as Date column types. My Days Left column has it's own formula based on the number of employees assigned to the project and the average time it takes to complete parts of the project (so the '92' will change based on these factors). What am I doing wrong that my finish date keeps giving me an error? Thanks.

Tags:

Best Answer

• bisaacs
    bisaacs ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hey @beckyw,

That seems like it should work! Invalid Data Type errors usually means that the data being passed is the wrong type. If the Today's Date column is a Date column, then maybe there's an issue with the Days Left column? Try wrapping the [Days Left]@row in an INT() function to make sure it's converted to a number:

=WORKDAY([Today's Date]1, INT([Days Left]@row))

Hope this helps!

If my response was helpful in any way (or answered your question) please be sure to upvote it, mark it as awesome, or mark it as the accepted answer!

I'm always looking to connect with other industry professionals, feel free to connect with me on LinkedIn as well!

Answers

• bisaacs
    bisaacs ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hey @beckyw,

That seems like it should work! Invalid Data Type errors usually means that the data being passed is the wrong type. If the Today's Date column is a Date column, then maybe there's an issue with the Days Left column? Try wrapping the [Days Left]@row in an INT() function to make sure it's converted to a number:

=WORKDAY([Today's Date]1, INT([Days Left]@row))

Hope this helps!

If my response was helpful in any way (or answered your question) please be sure to upvote it, mark it as awesome, or mark it as the accepted answer!

I'm always looking to connect with other industry professionals, feel free to connect with me on LinkedIn as well!

• beckyw
    Options

Thanks, @bisaacs ! It worked when adding INT.

And thank you for answering so quickly!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!