Automated Workflow Issue

Options

I have created a request process for our sales team that incorporates automated workflows. As I built it out, I tested each component and every step functioned properly. The team started using it last week, and I have one workflow that will not run automatically. It will work if I use the Run Manually Option or if I manually change the data in the column/field. I can't figure out why after weeks of testing, this is happening. Here is the workflow:

This part is working fine; SS populated the MSA Signed Date based on a name match.

This is the notification to the AE, that we have the MSA and file, no further action on their part is needed

This is the step that gets stuck, the workflow is not changing the status unless I use the Run Manually option or change it myself. The status of Submitted triggers a separate workflow to the contract team to prepare the appropriate documents. (That works as well, once the status is Submitted)

I have another workflow if the MSA is NOT on file. It triggers an update request and once that information is provided, the Status of Request changes to submitted automatically and works fine.

I'm not sure why this workflow stops before the last step, when it worked while I was testing and it will run if manually triggered.

Any ideas will be helpful before I open a support ticket. Thanks in advance!

Best Answer

Answers

• PCG Sam Harwart
    PCG Sam Harwart ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Linda Hoydic ,

Are you only wanting it to run for existing rows when the date is changed? I see the workflow is currently set to "when rows are changed" vs the default "when rows are added or changed". This would prevent the workflow from running when the row is initially added.

When you have an existing row and manually change the date in the MSA Signed Date, does the workflow run?

Cheers,
    Sam

-
    primeconsulting.com | Smartsheet's 2023 Partner of the Year for North America
    Want to chat about a Smartsheet problem you're facing? Grab time on my calendar here: Schedule a Discovery Call!

• Linda Hoydic
    Linda Hoydic ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@PCG Sam Harwart - I hadn't thought about that. This is what happens, the request is entered with a form, the MSA Signed Date is populated if there is a match of Client name to another sheet. I have a formula in the MSA Signed Date field to look at another sheet - =IFERROR(INDEX({MSA List Range 1}, MATCH([Client Name]@row, {MSA List Client Name}, 0)), "None"). The date is entered almost simultaneous to the request being generated. I'll try to change to added or changed and see if that gets it to go through.

• PCG Sam Harwart
    PCG Sam Harwart ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Let me know if that doesn't work and we can continue to troubleshoot!

Cheers,
    Sam

-
    Want to chat about a Smartsheet problem you're facing? Grab time on my calendar here: Schedule a Discovery Call!

• Linda Hoydic
    Linda Hoydic ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@PCG Sam Harwart - Looks like that was it. I'll keep tracking it to make sure, but the status updated automatically with the latest request.

In my mind, the request and the populating of either a date or none, was two separate steps - so I thought the date would be a "change", but apparently, the workflow needs added or changed.

On another note, I have another workflow that is similar in nature - but it should occur only when a row changes. If a rate changes to any value (and it really is a change, the row/sheet has been established), then I want to check a box. The box does not check automatically, when the rate changes (this is automatic as well based on a formula), but will check if I manually run the workflow. Should this also use added or changed instead of just changed, even though the rate being updated truly is a change?

• PCG Sam Harwart
    PCG Sam Harwart ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Glad that worked!

For the other workflow, that should only be triggered when the rate changes. If you want, you can post details here or start a new thread and I can take a look!

Cheers,
    Sam

-

• Linda Hoydic
    Linda Hoydic ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Here is the other workflow that is giving me issues. I had everything documented to put in a support ticket as my customer success manager looked at it with me the other day and couldn't see anything, but maybe you will. If not, I'll go with plan A and put in the ticket after the next rate updates (on 5/15) if it still doesn't trigger.

Annual CPI Adjustment cell is auto populated from the sheet summary using a formula to pull the rate from another sheet where the rates are calculated.

On my test sheet, I can either enter the rate, or use the sheet summary field to populate the rate (which is how it works on the actual billing sheet).

In either case, the workflow to check the Adjustment Date box works perfectly.

On my in-production sheets, the rate pulls in, the new amount due is calculated, but the Adjustment Date box does not check unless I run the workflow manually or just check the box.

• PCG Sam Harwart
    PCG Sam Harwart ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I built a similar flow to test and everything appears correct, but it didn't always run as quickly as I'd expect. Have you tried updating the sheet summary rate, saving, and refreshing the sheet after a couple of minutes? Sometimes errors in the system are actually Smartsheet processing delays.

Cheers,
    Sam

-

• Linda Hoydic
    Linda Hoydic ✭✭✭✭
    Options

When I first rolled this out, it worked once or twice automatically, then the workflow stopped checking the box. The update of the sheet summary happens automatically using an Index/Match formula.

That said, after the update occurs, I have looked at the sheet where the box is to be checked and have refreshed the sheet, but it will not check the box. I have not cleared the formula on the sheet summary and keyed the rate, to test that. If I'm going to have to manually enter the rate, then I might as well just check the box.

I have tested it that way on my test setup; both with the sheet summary populating the rate and manually entering the rate. In either case, the box gets checked. I guess it's time for a support case. I had decided to give it one more try on the 15th, with the next update and see if it triggers by some miracle.

Thanks for taking a look for me. I appreciate the help with the other one!