Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Return Column Name using a Formula

bbennett
bbennett
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2017 Posts

I have several columns I use to track dates for different steps in a process.  i.e. Ordered, Delivered, Installed.  Is there a formula that will return the column name of the latest date across these columns.

For instance, Ordered = 8/4, Delivered = 8/15, Install = n/a.  In my "Status" column I'd like to return "Delivered" since that's the latest step that has been completed.

Is there a way to do this in Smartsheet?

Comments

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Would you ever have an install date without an order date? Or a delivery date before an order date? If not, use this formula. It checks to see if there is a date in the Install field first, if not - then it checks for a date in the Delivered Date, if not, then it checks ordered. If none of the columns are dates it will be blank. You could put your own text in the final quotes to have a message if you wanted. Also, you need to make sure your column names and number are accurate. I built this based on row 1... update the formula to match. 

=IF(Isdate(install1),"Installed", IF(isdate(delivered1),"Delivered", IF(isdate(ordered1), "Ordered","")))

This discussion has been closed.