Timeline - can I add a marker to a task to identify a unique criteria?

Options
Karen Bruer
Karen Bruer ✭✭✭✭✭
edited 05/07/24 in Smartsheet Basics

I have level 2 tasks showing nicely in Timeline but I want to show that some of the tasks have something unique about them. I.e. there are 10 tasks in green because they're on track and each shows the label of the task. I'd like to show that 2 of the 10 tasks are for an escalated customer. Any suggestions?

Answers

• Pauline J
    Pauline J ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hello @Karen Bruer

If you create a helper column to use as the task name, and have a checkbox column (I called mine Escalated) to flag the row for an escalated customer (see below) You can then create a column formula for the Primary ("TimelineName") column to add an asterisk in front of the name if it is escalated (see image below).

To set it up, create a Helper Column (I called mine Name2 and moved it to the left of the Primary) and copy/paste the primary column contents into the column.

Then, create a formula in your Primary Column (mine is called TimelineName) (right-click to convert it to a column formula when it is working for one cell):

My formula: =IF(Escalated@row <> 0, "*" + EscName@row, EscName@row)

The Primary column's formula will add the asterisk in front of the Name2 cell's text if it has an Escalated flag, and will not add the asterisk if there is no flag. The formula must be in the Primary column because that is the column the Timeline/gantt chart uses.

I hope this makes sense — let me know if it works for you. 😊