disable export & share but not see

I have to share a sheet with people so that data that is relevant to them will display on their dashboard. I want them to view only the dashboard content but not truly have access to the sheet itself that houses other peoples data. Also, is there a way to disable the ability to export? If a person can export and I am hiding columns, they now have access to them.

Answers

• Pauline J
    Pauline J ✭✭✭✭✭

@Joey135 Good morning,

As far as I know, the sheet must be shared if you want a person to see the data on the dashboard. If you want to limit access, then it is a task for Dynamic View and a WorkApp. If you want to limit the data that can be viewed, if you add a contact list column and enter the contact info of the people you want to see the data, you can then create a report filtered by "current user" — they will only be able to see the rows that have their concact info in that column (if that makes sense.) I hope I understood your question correctly.

Pauline

• Joey135
    Joey135 ✭✭✭✭

@Pauline J I did some learning on Dynamic View and WorkApp. I don't think the Dynamic View will work because I need this group to have access to dashboards and have interaction with the full body of work that is maintained on the sheet. WorkApp, I am unsure. I couldn't create a new one without first contacting SmartSheet so I am waiting for a response.

• Pauline J
    Pauline J ✭✭✭✭✭

@Joey135 It does get a little complicated to figure out the best way to meet your permissions needs. The current user is very effective for displaying reports from the dashboard that show only the rows the viewer should be able to see — sometimes it's a bit of work with helper columns to support. Let me know what you end up with! Best!

• Joey135
    Joey135 ✭✭✭✭

@Pauline J Yes you are correct but I noticed that if you share the sheet, even with a current user filter, they can turn the filter off and they can export and gain access to everything.

• Pauline J
    Pauline J ✭✭✭✭✭

@Joey135 Yes. That is the conondrum — Dynamic View is the only tool I know in Smartsheet that will allow someone to view data in a report without sharing to the sheet below. I'll be curious to know what your final strategy will be. 😊

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I hope you're well and safe!

I'd recommend using WorkApps for this. You can set Reports for the current users, but they won't have access to the underlying sheets.

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.