Distinct Count IF or Running Count Total

Good Morning All,

I need a formula to count the running total of the Dealer Names as they appear. The current formula I have in Column 14: =COUNTIFS(Dealer:Dealer, Dealer@row) is showing the total times Dealer Name is referenced. In my situation I would need "TriGreen Equipment - Ag & Turf" is referenced twice but has two different budgets associated with the two. I would like this formula to count the first instance TriGreen Equipment - Ag & Turf as 1 associated with the $4,000 budget and the second as 2 associated with $13,578. Is that possible? There could be more duplicates with different budgets in the future so just want to be able to account for them if I have to reference the same Dealers but different information like budget and other columns that could be added.

Best Answer

• bisaacs
    bisaacs ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hey @ConnorForm,

I would change the range in the first part of the COUNTIF to as follows:

=COUNTIF(Dealer$1:Dealer@row, Dealer@row)

This will make it so the count increments only on previously repeated Dealers.

Hope this helps!

If my response was helpful in any way (or answered your question) please be sure to upvote it, mark it as awesome, or mark it as the accepted answer!

I'm always looking to connect with other industry professionals, feel free to connect with me on LinkedIn as well!

Answers

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!