Sign in to submit new ideas and vote
Get Started

Edit Start, End, or Duration from Report

Options
jessica.smith
jessica.smith ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd like to be able to edit the Start Date, End Date, or Duration of a task from my report.

At present I can only edit Start and Duration from a report because End is treated like a formula.

This is problematic when I need to adjust both dates because it forces me or another user to do math (accounting for non-working days) in order to set the correct duration so that my End date calculates correctly for me.

This is even more of an inconveniene because reports do not update formula calculations without saving and refreshing. So in order to make sure I've back-calculated my duration from my desired end date correctly, I have to save and refresh the report then potentially expand/unexpand my groups and scroll to refind my place just to check to make sure my date recalculated correctly. It's tedious, time consuming, and just really not ideal.

13 votes

Idea Submitted · Last Updated

Comments

• Tamara
    Tamara ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

My team works extensively in reports. Projects may have started and we're waiting for parts but doesn't add time to the project. We'd like to be able to edit the ship dates from the reports for these projects. With Gantt charts and dependencies enabled currently the ship date/end date looks to be a formula within the report and is unable to be edited without adding time or moving the start date back.

• Rhys
    Rhys ✭✭
    Options

Yes - this post outlines exactly the challenge we are having in our new implementation which depends more on the use of Reports, but this is a critical limitation that is leaving us second guessing the strategy to move to report views instead of table views.

• Rachel Beck
    Rachel Beck ✭✭✭
    edited 05/23/24
    Options

One of the most valuable features of Smartsheet is the Gantt chart and project plan sheets. They have significantly helped us pinpoint key milestones and enhance team collaboration. However, we wish we could edit dates directly from a report. We have a "current tasks" report that reviews our plan sheets and flags any items that are past due or due in the next 10 days. While we can update durations from the report, we can't adjust the start date, end date, or predecessors. This limitation means we can't immediately see the updated end date without saving and refreshing, which is cumbersome.

This process forces project managers (PMs) to access the sheet directly, even when they only need to update dates to provide a new timeline. Our PMs juggle many projects simultaneously, and having to access the sheet adds an unnecessary step, despite the data already being available in the report.

Ideally, we would like to update these dates directly in the report without the need to go back to the plan sheet.