Every time I add a row to the top of this sheet, the formula changes even though I'm using '$'

I use Smartsheet often, but I'm beginning to use the formulas more and more. I can't resolve this problem. Every week, a new row is added to the top of the sheet. The "Should Have" row, needs to calculate the "MAX" value of the top 4 rows (and since a row is added each week, the top 4 rows change continuously).

Whenever I add a row, the formula updates like this:

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Tags:

Answers

• Lucas Rayala
    Lucas Rayala ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Daysnoc1 — if you want to get the top row each time, you may need to set things up a little differently. As you've noted, Smartsheet will 'helpfully' update your formula if a new row is added using the $ convention. In general, I avoid putting single formulas in the same column as the information you are summarizing. I would put a single formula like this in the Sheet Summary tab (or in a different column). If you do this, then you can easily write the formula to collect the entire column, without having to specify rows. You use the [ColumnName]:[ColumnName] convention. That formula would look like this:

=MAX([100]:[100])*3

This will always give you largest value for that entire column. However, if you tried to add this formula to the cell you are currently using, because it's in the same column you are referencing, you would get a Circular Reference error.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!