ISBLANK formula not returning data when cell is blank

I have an automatically generated date column in my sheet 'Created Date'. I want to be able to override this date with a manually entered date 'Manual Date'. I created a new column called 'Inquiry Date' and am using this formula:

=IF(ISBLANK([Manual Date]@row), [Created]@row, [Manual Date]@row)

I want the formula to pull the 'Manual Date' if it exists and if that field is blank, then I want it to pull the 'Created Date'.

This formula works great when the 'Manual Date' has a value, but when it's blank, I get the following error: #INVALID COLULMN VALUE

I'm sure I'm missing something really simple here, but I'm stumped. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Tags:

Best Answer

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Make sure the Manual Date column and the column you are putting the formula in are both set as date type columns. If that still doesn't help, you will need to incorporate the DATEONLY function to strip just the date out of the date/time stamp.

=IF(ISBLANK([Manual Date]@row), DATEONLY([Created]@row), [Manual Date]@row)

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

Answers

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!