Having trouble with Index and Small formula...?

Hi, I'm trying to find the smallest (or oldest) date in a column and then return a cell value from the same row of a different column. Below is my current formula. I want to return the "Lumber Type" with the smallest date from the "Last Cycle count Date" column.

=INDEX([Lumber Type]1:[Lumber Type]35, MATCH(SMALL([Last Cycle Count Date]35:[Last Cycle Count Date]1, 1)))

Answers

• Mark.poole
    Mark.poole ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Instead of the small function. If your wanting the earliest date use the Min function.

If you found this comment helpful. Please respond with any of the buttons below. Awesome🖤, Insightful💡, Upvote⬆️, or accepted answer. Not only will this help others searching for the same answer, but help me as well. Thank you.

• Im actually looking for the three smallest dates which will need to be counted. I figured using the small function in 3 different cells where N = 1, 2 and 3…

• Mark.poole
    Mark.poole ✭✭✭✭✭✭

That makes more sense. Try This.

=Index(Small([Last Cycle Count Date]1:[Last Cycle Count Date]35,1),Match([Lumber Type]@row,[Lumber Type]1:[Lumber Type]35,0))

If you found this comment helpful. Please respond with any of the buttons below. Awesome🖤, Insightful💡, Upvote⬆️, or accepted answer. Not only will this help others searching for the same answer, but help me as well. Thank you.

• getting a circular reference error… :/

• Mark.poole
    Mark.poole ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I see the issue and apologize for not noticing it earlier? Index Match needs something to match it too. So instead do the =Small([Last Cycle Count Date]1:[Last Cycle Count Date]35,1) In A Hidden helper row.

Small([Last Cycle Count Date]1:[Last Cycle Count Date]35,1) for Cycle count#1

Small([Last Cycle Count Date]1:[Last Cycle Count Date]35,2) for Cycle count#1

Small([Last Cycle Count Date]1:[Last Cycle Count Date]35,3) for Cycle count#3

THEN in the column your pulling the information to

=Index([Lumber Type]1:[Lumber Type]35,Match(Helper@row,[Last Cycle Count Date]1:[Last Cycle Count Date]35,0))

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!