Smartsheet automation

blmccue
blmccue ✭✭
edited 06/03/24 in Smartsheet Basics

I have created some workflows where a triggering event sends an email to a team to investigate/respond to the inquiry. I've put instructions in the triggering email to not use 'reply all' and that they will need to respond to the requestor listed in the notification email. Is it possible to mark an inquiry as completed/resolved if the recipient responds to the email and capture the resolution?

Tags:

Best Answer

• blmccue
    blmccue ✭✭
    Answer ✓

So I was trying this, the first step is to alert someone that we have an inquiry request but I also want to keep track to make sure that it has been taken care of, a summary of the solution, and I have a column that has formula to track how long the row was left open by having a created date column and modified date (assuming they can mark the row complete easily.

After your first response, I was added a secondary step to request an update and think I may have found a solution. I added a request to update and put in the subject line Please provide an up when {{FName}} {{LName}} question regarding {{Vehicle Business Topics}} {{Driver Business Topics}} is resolved, and added the column {{Resolved}} and {{How was this resolved?}} to the update request. I do which there was a little delay on the update request because that email is arriving in my inbox before the initial request.

Answers

• eliweitz
    eliweitz ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey @blmccue!

Hope all is well with you! Based on what you're describing, are you using an Alert workflow automation, or an update/approval request notification?

Based on whichever notification you're using, there are a few ways to handle this component.

1.Email Alert

If using an email alert, you should be able to add a secondary action after the email is sent. However, this just automatically occurs without verification it's been worked on.

2. Update Request

If using an update request, you can add a condition immediately afterwards, which could check for a given update to be completed, then complete another action (i.e. mark as completed/resolved). Or, you could include the status field in the update request, and have the user update the state to completed/resolved once done in the update request.

3. Approval Request

If you're using an approval request automation, you can add actions if approved/denied (or even replace approved/denied with any status, which would automatically update the field.

Hopefully these cover the bases on some automation options!

• blmccue
    blmccue ✭✭

@eliweitz, I am using an email alert. If I add a secondary action to request an update will it provide data to the user so they know which alert they are responding to?

• eliweitz
    eliweitz ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 06/03/24

@blmccue

You might find an update request flow easier to work with than an alert either way (update requests are basically alerts with input ability). But you definitely can provide data to the user to know which alert they are responding to! You can actually refer to column values in the messaging using the format: {{COLUM NAME HERE}} in any text field. This inserts the given row information from that column in the message. As well, if you add any pre-populated text to the fields included within the update request, it as well provides their current values within.

• blmccue
    blmccue ✭✭
    Answer ✓

So I was trying this, the first step is to alert someone that we have an inquiry request but I also want to keep track to make sure that it has been taken care of, a summary of the solution, and I have a column that has formula to track how long the row was left open by having a created date column and modified date (assuming they can mark the row complete easily.

After your first response, I was added a secondary step to request an update and think I may have found a solution. I added a request to update and put in the subject line Please provide an up when {{FName}} {{LName}} question regarding {{Vehicle Business Topics}} {{Driver Business Topics}} is resolved, and added the column {{Resolved}} and {{How was this resolved?}} to the update request. I do which there was a little delay on the update request because that email is arriving in my inbox before the initial request.

• eliweitz
    eliweitz ✭✭✭✭✭

@blmccue yeah, it's quick. But, you could break it out into a separate workflow, which only runs when a cell value changes, which allows for some delay to wait for a sheet change (basically, require them to enter some data before the followup is sent). Else we can't really slow the emails (I wish! We deploy a mass email solution using the Smartsheet workflows, and it sends them rapid-fire almost 10 at a time!).