Issue with % Complete column rolling up from child rows to parent rows

Hi All

New to Smartsheet and having an issue with the % Complete column rolling up to an overall % from the child rows to the parent rows. The child row are attached to the parent row, but only the 1st child row rolls up to show as a % of the parent row. If I add a % into the other child rows linked to the parent row then the parent rows shows 0%. Totally confused, I am sure something simple but I am stuck. If I just take each child line directly below the parent row then it rolls up to show 100% in the parent row. If I add any other lines in then the Parent row shows as 0

Best Answer

• Gia Thinh
    Gia Thinh ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

I noticed that the Duration column in your sheet is empty. This caused the problem you mentioned.

Smartsheet calculates the % Complete and Duration of the parent rows based on the % Complete and Duration of child rows. You should enter values in Start Date, End Date, Duration for this calculation.

Gia Thinh Technology - Smartsheet Solution Partner.

Answers

• Mark.poole
    Mark.poole ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Phil.S the 2 is what ever Row the parent row is on.

=AVG(CHILDREN([% complete]2))

If you found this comment helpful. Please respond with any of the buttons below. Awesome🖤, Insightful💡, Upvote⬆️, or accepted answer. Not only will this help others searching for the same answer, but help me as well. Thank you.

• Gia Thinh
    Gia Thinh ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

I noticed that the Duration column in your sheet is empty. This caused the problem you mentioned.

Smartsheet calculates the % Complete and Duration of the parent rows based on the % Complete and Duration of child rows. You should enter values in Start Date, End Date, Duration for this calculation.

• Hi Gia

Yes I realized that after I sent the message, I have issues with the Project Roll UP and Tracking Template, so I designed this sheet to double check as we are having issues with the % complete on this column where some child rows do not alter the parent row %. I have logged a support ticket. Example Line 3 Parent Row, if I change Line 7 to 100% then it changes Line 3 to 100%, but if I put in 75% then Line 3 becomes 0% - same if I change any of the child rows under that Parent Row. Then Line 10 nothing happens with the parent row when I change the % amount on that row. The parent row follows line 11, whatever % I change to on line 11 rolls up to the parent row.

I am sure something simple as I used the original template added our own headers in then copied this sheet over into the template, so I am assuming something in the set up or I have knocked something out of the original template when I did the copy and paste. If you have any ideas be gratefully received. Thank you for your reply and time. Kind regards Phil Sawdon

• Gia Thinh
    Gia Thinh ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I noticed that the duration column has minus values in many rows (ex -41d), they are supposed to be positive. You may want to check your project settings with Start date and End date are set properly.

• Hi Gia

Start date and end date are set correctly on the baseline, for this project. I removed and re-set, but yes the duration dates show a - on some columns and no idea why. I cant seem to get rid of these - days either. Thanks for your help at least I feel getting to know why an issue with this column, so feel making some small progress.

The original template sheet used had dates in Feb 2021 not sure how that affects this though. I will just copy and paste the sheet I have done which works into this one with all data removed and use that. I would like to know why this has not worked anyway and thank you for your guidance much appreciated. Cheers Phil

• Gia Thinh
    Gia Thinh ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Did you go to this Project settings menu and check it out?

• On the sheet I have the Option is shown as % Complete not Progress, and Progress is not coming up as an option, so I am making an assumption when I copied the sheet over something changed ?

On the Status Options I did take a couple out that were in the original template and amended under the RAG Option some of the conditional formatting to remove some of the status cf.

I am now assuming by copying and paste the sheet I had and amending some of the coloumns I have thrown out the settings ?

• Hi Ghia

It does show this on the original template as % complete so I think you are looking at a different one. I used Project Tracking and Roll UP Template.

• Gia Thinh
    Gia Thinh ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Can you share (Admin permission) your sheet with me (thinh.huynh@giathinh.tech) for looking in to it?

• Hi Gia

I have shared you should receive, let me know if you do not

Kind regards

Phil

• Gia Thinh
    Gia Thinh ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I noticed that the values in Duration column are not working. I deleted some of them and enter new values in Duration or End date column then the % Complete works well. You may need to delete all values in the Duration column and re-enter them.

• Hi Gia

I just emailed you as I thought the duration column was automated from the start/end date, so should we work this out manually for this template and then it work for others we do automatically. As you can see my level and understanding of SS is very basic but learning. I cannot thank you enough for your help, been amazing.

Cheers

Phil

• Gia Thinh
    Gia Thinh ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I am happy to help. Your issue with the duration value is a quiet special case I ever met, but it's done now.

• Thank you so much, can I trouble you with one more hopefully simple question, line 16 in the % complete column has a line through the % amount and it is just annoying me as to why ?

I feel I owe you something for your help.

Thanks

Phil

• Gia Thinh
    Gia Thinh ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Uncheck the Strikethrough in the menu. It should be gone.