Dependent Sheets

Well…I guess have some more questions.

I have a "Parent Process" and a "Sub-Process" in a sheet. I want to develop a link to other sheets, based on the sub-process.

So whenever a sub-process is added, it automatically adds the sub-process (not the entire row, just the name) to a different sheet and creates an automatic cell-link to that new sheet.

This would allow me to create all of my parent processes & sub-processes in one sheet and if I want to add more data specific to certain subjects (3rd party dependencies, critical contact info, etc.), I can click a link and it'll take me to the correct sheet and the correct row to fill in the data.

Is this possible?

Current sheet:

Answers

• Brian_Richardson
    Brian_Richardson Overachievers Alumni

There isn't a way to do this in the native core app, you'll need Data Mesh.

If you have Data Mesh, you can apply an Autonumber or some other unique combination to each of your subprocess rows. Then setup Data Mesh to do a Copy and Add to the other sheet. It will watch your source sheet and, when you add something new, will copy that along with any other data that you want, to the destination sheet.

You can then setup a second Data Mesh in the reverse direction to create a Cell Link to bring back the link to the first sheet, again based on the unique id.

Alternatively, if you have Bridge you could write a custom workflow to handle this, trigger the workflow on new added subprocess, have the workflow copy it and then post back the link. But Data Mesh is easier to setup.

If you have neither Data Mesh, nor Bridge, you could also do this with your own third party API integration tool.

BRIAN RICHARDSON | PMO TOOLS AND RESOURCES | HE|HIM

SEATTLE WA, USA

IRON MOUNTAIN

• Pestomania
    Pestomania ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Brian,

I learned that we do have data mesh and I am going to attempt to do it in there. But I also learned between this and another question I have out, I may just put it all in one table as a "data table" and then write reports or views for the individual items needed. And then I can group by process ownership (I believe). We will see how it works and if it doesn't, I will figure something else out.

• Brian_Richardson
    Brian_Richardson Overachievers Alumni
    edited 06/11/24

Very true. I assumed you had them split for a reason, but if no real reason other than separating data then yes a grouped report can do the same thing. You also get benefits from reports if you use the Summary function along with grouping to provide automatic sums/averages/min/max on any numeric columns.

BRIAN RICHARDSON | PMO TOOLS AND RESOURCES | HE|HIM

SEATTLE WA, USA

IRON MOUNTAIN

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!