Help with IF AND formula with cross sheet reference

I am trying to write a cross sheet formula, and I keep getting an #INVALID OPERATION error, and I cannot puzzle it out.

My current formula: =IF(AND({Scenario REQ ID} = [REQ ID]@row, {Scenario Status} = "Pass"), 1, 0)

If the REQ ID from my scenario sheet matches the REQ ID of this row, AND the Status on the scenario sheet is "Pass", check the box.

Best Answer

• Mark.poole
    Mark.poole ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 06/07/24 Answer ✓

@kelceyg

After looking into it a bit it appears IF statements and cross sheet references do funny things. So I thought what if we did a Index Match instead.

=IF(Index({Scenario Status},Match([REQ ID]@row,{Scenario REQ ID},0))="Pass",1,0)

See how this works out for you.

If you found this comment helpful. Please respond with any of the buttons below. Awesome🖤, Insightful💡, Upvote⬆️, or accepted answer. Not only will this help others searching for the same answer, but help me as well. Thank you.

Answers

• Mark.poole
    Mark.poole ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@kelceyg

Looking at your formula I can’t see an issue in and of itself. How ever since you changed the ref names from the defaults. Check to be sure the columns are still actually being referenced. I have ran into this issue before when selecting the column before changing the name.

If you found this comment helpful. Please respond with any of the buttons below. Awesome🖤, Insightful💡, Upvote⬆️, or accepted answer. Not only will this help others searching for the same answer, but help me as well. Thank you.

• kelceyg
    kelceyg ✭✭✭✭✭

I have double checked my column references, and they appear to be fine.

Just to be sure, I ended up deleting the formula, deleting the references out of the Sheet Reference Manager, saved the sheet, and then recreated the formula without changing the default reference names. I still got the same error message.

• Mark.poole
    Mark.poole ✭✭✭✭✭✭

is there any negative space in front of or behind the data in the reference rows?

• Mark.poole
    Mark.poole ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 06/07/24 Answer ✓

@kelceyg

After looking into it a bit it appears IF statements and cross sheet references do funny things. So I thought what if we did a Index Match instead.

=IF(Index({Scenario Status},Match([REQ ID]@row,{Scenario REQ ID},0))="Pass",1,0)

See how this works out for you.

• kelceyg
    kelceyg ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mark.poole the Index Match formula worked! Thank you!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!