Report filter mystery

Hi all,

In my projects, I have a column Project Phase which generates numbers in this format: 04.3

In a report, I want to display all tasks that are part of Project Phase 04.3, but I am having trouble getting this to show up on reports.

Filters that do not work:

• "Project Phase - is equal to - 04.3"
  • "Project Phase - is one of - 04.3" (even though in the dropdown menu it says there are 79 results).

Filter that does work:

• "Project Phase - contains - 04.3"

What is the issue here? Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Tags:

Best Answer

• malden
    malden ✭✭
    Answer ✓

I figured this out. In the formula that generates the number, I added =VALUE() around the whole formula and that fixed it by making it a number and removing a hidden apostrophe.

@Gia Thinh thank you for your input. I did not know what you meant by a string, but I solved my issue when I noticed the apostrophe and was able to look up that problem.

Answers

• Gia Thinh
    Gia Thinh ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 06/13/24

Hi malden,

You may want to create a Parent column with the following formula to get the parent rows. Then use your Report to filter the Phase with Parent column as a criteria. Hope it works for you.

=PARENT([Task Name]@row)

Gia Thinh Technology - Smartsheet Solution Partner.

• malden
    malden ✭✭

@Gia Thinh Thank you for your response. There are a few workarounds that would display the info. But more specifically, my question is this: if the report detects that there are results that equal the exact value, what would block them from being displayed? Any ideas? 🤔

• Gia Thinh
    Gia Thinh ✭✭✭✭✭✭

The 04.3 is a string, not a number, so a filter with contain operator is more logical to compare

Gia Thinh Technology - Smartsheet Solution Partner.

• malden
    malden ✭✭
    Answer ✓

I figured this out. In the formula that generates the number, I added =VALUE() around the whole formula and that fixed it by making it a number and removing a hidden apostrophe.

@Gia Thinh thank you for your input. I did not know what you meant by a string, but I solved my issue when I noticed the apostrophe and was able to look up that problem.