How can I enable employees to request an automatic report?

I have a sheet where employees have entered various transactions via a form. Those employees frequently request statements of their entries, and providing those is a burden for staff. My idea is to provide a separate form to automate the generation and delivery of those statements. The employee would enter his/her email address and a date range, and then smartsheet would email a report showing the employee's transactions that were within that date range. I cannot figure out an automation that will accomplish that. Any suggestions that you have would be appreciated. Thank you.

Answers

• Kerry St. Thomas
    Kerry St. Thomas ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know that there's an automation that will create a report and trigger an email export of said report. I suggest examining what the bulk of the reports being requested cover - are most employees asking for the previous month? previous 6 month? Whatever that timerange is, could you create a report constrained by that time range, and apply a "Current User" filter? That report could be shared to employees. It won't completely automate the process, but would reduce the burden to staff.

If this answer resolves your question, please help the Community by marking it as an accepted answer. I'd also be grateful for your response - "Insightful"or "Awesome" reactions are much appreciated. Thanks!

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I hope you're well and safe!

Interesting!

How many records could they request?

Can you share some screenshots? (Please delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help.

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic day!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my comment(s) help/answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community and me by marking it - Insightful 💡- Vote Up ⬆️ - Aweseome ❤️ - or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer! I appreciate it, thanks!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Hi Kerry and Andrée. Thank you for your responses.
    I don't think a screen shot will be very helpful. What I have is a sheet of employee charitable donations. Employees submit the information via a form. The key columns in the sheet are:
    - Entry Date
    - Charity Name
    - Employee Email Address
    - Contribution Year (Note: this may differ from the Entry Date, because for example, a donation that was entered in January 2024 could apply to 2023)
    - Contribution amount

My idea was to create a second table and form, which would allow an employee to request a statement by entering:
    - Email Address
    - Either Entry Date range or Contribution Year range

Then, a report would be filtered to include only entries from that email address that were entered in the specified time range. That report would be emailed to the email address that was entered.

The trigger in the workflow would be a "When rows are added" on the second table and the report would be from the primary table.

Any idea you have would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.