How do I use 'or' with CountIF?

I'm getting all twisted up in what I believe should be a Countif formula. I basically want to populate:

If the status is COMPLETE for Department A, B, or C I want that total.

If that status is IN PROGRESS for Department A, B, or C I want that total.

If that status is NOT STARTED for Department A, B, or C I want that total.

So the count total for example 1 should be 2.

Topic

Status

Dept

XX

Complete

Apple

XX

In Progress

Ball

XX

Not Started

Car

XX

Complete

Ball

XX

In Progress

Apple

XX

Not Started

Car

It is the 'or' that is tripping me up in creating this formula. Any suggestions?

Answers

• SoS | Dan Palenchar
    SoS | Dan Palenchar ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hello @Vivre Belle,

You can use COUNT(COLLECT()) for this. Try this formula and replace the various [VALUES] with what you specifically need.

COUNT(COLLECT(Status:Status, Status:Status, "[STATUS VALUE]", Dept:Dept, OR(@cell = "[DEPT VALUE A]", @cell = "[DEPT VALUE B]", @cell = "[DEPT VALUE C]")))

For example:

COUNT(COLLECT(Status:Status, Status:Status, "Complete", Dept:Dept, OR(@cell = "Apple", @cell = "Ball", @cell = "Car")))

Here is how it looks:

And here is a video showing the values changing and a published Sheet you can interact with.

Hope that helps!

School of Sheets (Smartsheet Partner)

If my answer helped please accept and react w/💡Insightful, ⬆️ Vote Up, ❤️Awesome!

• Hi @Dan Palenchar

Thank you so much for this detailed explanation. If i have to insert a reference another sheet, do i place it in the beginning of this formula? When I did and i got the unparseable note. See example:

=COUNT({Reference, 3},COLLECT(Status:Status, Status:Status, "Complete", Dept:Dept, OR(@cell = "Apple", @cell = "Ball", @cell = "Car")))

Thank you!