Quote of the Day on Dashboard

Coby.C
Coby.C âś­âś­
edited 07/08/24 in Best Practice

Hi,

I am setting up our company landing Dashboard and am curious if there is a way to embed a quote of the day generator that posts a new quote to the dashboard everyday? Wondering if anyone has done this or done something similar.

Best Answer

Answers

• Kerry St. Thomas
    Kerry St. Thomas âś­âś­âś­âś­âś­

It would take a fair bit of advance work - you'd need to assemble the list of quotes on a sheet. In another column, you could list the date said quote would be posted, and use use an INDEX/MATCH with TODAY() to pull one quote to the Summary and then use a KPI widget on your dashboard. You could alternately use a report to filter to the current date, and surface the report.

I personally haven't used a dashboard to surface info like a quote of the day like this, but the structure to do something like this appears fairly straightforward.

If this answer resolves your question, please help the Community by marking it as an accepted answer. I'd also be grateful for your response - "Insightful"or "Awesome" reactions are much appreciated. Thanks!

• Coby.C
    Coby.C âś­âś­

Thank you @jmyzk_cloudsmart_jp - just to clarify, the JOIN function goes in the QOTD Metric sheet that the Metric on the Dashboard pulls from - essentially that cell in the QOTD metric sheet updates daily based on what it is referencing from the QOTD Data sheet…? Do I understand correctly?

Thanks so much for the quick response. Your quote of the day absolutely reflects this community!

• jmyzk_cloudsmart_jp
    jmyzk_cloudsmart_jp âś­âś­âś­âś­âś­âś­

Hi @Coby.C

Yes, you've understood it correctly. The JOIN function should be placed in the QOTD Metric sheet, which the Metric widget on the Dashboard will reference. This way, the cell in the QOTD Metric sheet updates daily based on the data from the QOTD Data sheet.

Here's a step-by-step breakdown:

1. QOTD Data Sheet: Contains your list of quotes and the corresponding dates they should be displayed.
    2. QOTD Metric Sheet: Uses the JOIN function to pull the quote for the current day.
    3. Dashboard: A Metric widget displays the quote by referencing the updated cell from the QOTD Metric sheet.

This method ensures that the quote of the day on your Dashboard updates automatically based on the current date.

Glad to hear the quote resonates with our community!