Is there an option to prioritize workflows?

Hi All,

I have a folder with a few different sheets, one being my main sheet that my team works off of. This main sheet has a number of workflows for all the moving parts of our project that we track.
As we move along further, I have realized the amount of workflows is starting to be a problem with prioritization.

Say I have one workflow that is triggered when rows are added or changed (rows are added from data being entered in from a form) to update a cell to "Calibration"
BUT if that row is coming from another sheet (what we call our repeat tracker) with the cell as "Repeat Completed" it is supposed to keep the cell as "Repeat Completed"

but recently it has been updating these rows coming from our repeat tracker as "Calibration"!

I am going to try and go through our workflows to see if I can condense them into one massive workflow, unless that is a bad idea.
Anyone have any input or ways they know they can prioritize workflows

Answers

• SoS | Dan Palenchar
    SoS | Dan Palenchar ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hello @nroth,

The workflow you mention here needs to be modified:

Say I have one workflow that is triggered when rows are added or changed (rows are added from data being entered in from a form) to update a cell to "Calibration"

You might be able to consolidate some/all of your workflows into one larger one. I would choose the structure that makes sense to you and allows you to manage them.

It should work to simply add a filter criteria to your existing Change Cell automation to exclude a value of "Repeat Completed" in whatever column it is acting on. You would use a structure of [Column Name] is not one of Repeat Completed

As far as "prioritizing workflows" are concerned, it depends what you mean by that. There is no innate priority - a workflow will simply run on schedule when the trigger condition is met. You could modify the frequency it runs to make it less cumbersome (make it daily, weekly, etc.)., or you could build some type of contingency with a back end column so a workflow can only run once, can only run if some other workflow has not, etc. If you can detail how you would like to prioritize your workflows I can offer some more specific guidance.

School of Sheets (Smartsheet Partner)

If my answer helped please accept and react w/💡Insightful, ⬆️ Vote Up, ❤️Awesome!