Why is my automated workflow not working for rows inserted from a Form?

Hi Community,
I am relatively new to Smartsheet but have managed to set up a project portfolio with multiple projects within it, as well as dashboards and forms. It's pretty cool.

There is an automated workflow that sends an email when a new row is inserted in my intake sheet. This workflow works when I use the sheet to enter a new row, but is not triggered when the new row is entered from the form attached to the sheet.
Is there a fix for this issue?
Thankyou

Answers

• Adam Murphy
    Adam Murphy ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Rebecca, what trigger do you have defined for your automation? A screenshot of the automation might help show the issue.

• Hi Adam, thanks for your reply.

I'm using the trigger "when rows are added". Column Name "Project ID" is set up as an "#Auto number" column-type.
    Here is a screen shot of the automation:

• SoS | Dan Palenchar
    SoS | Dan Palenchar ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hello @Rebecca Av,

You might need to change your permission settings. Per your above Screenshot click on the grey text that says "Change your permission settings." and change it to Unrestricted.

School of Sheets (Smartsheet Partner)

If my answer helped please accept and react w/💡Insightful, ⬆️ Vote Up, ❤️Awesome!

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

It may have to do with a slight lag between the form creating the new row and the auto-number column populating so that the new row is technically created but the id is blank. Try adjusting your trigger so that it is when rows are added or changed and where Project ID changes to any value. This should only trigger once for each row since the auto-number column should never change and should also help cover any situation where there may be a bit of a lag.

• Thankyou for your replies, I learned from your suggestions.

It turned out that the problem lay with the contact column. Input from the form was free text and did not capture the email address to send the notification to, so the automation failed. I have altered the form to make the user select the contact from a drop down list.