Issue with text parsing on date/time populated by automation

L_123
L_123 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I'm having an issue where I have a created date column, then a date column that referenced the created date column and uses text parsing to remove the time. formula below:

=DATE(VALUE(20 + MID([Issue Opened Date]@row, 7, 2)), VALUE(LEFT([Issue Opened Date]@row, 2)), VALUE(MID([Issue Opened Date]@row, 4, 2)))

This functions well enough, but then I added an "alert when anything changes" automation on the spreadsheet. Now i'm getting alerts saying the date column is being updated on every cell when someone enters and saves the sheet, even without changes. I have bypassed this by monitoring specific columns for changes now, so I have a workaround, but I don't think it should function like this.

Answers

• Jason Tarpinian
    Jason Tarpinian ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Try using the DATEONLY() function instead of the formula you've built. But if your "Issue Opened Date" is the created date column, I don't know that that would solve your automation issue. As the created date will never be changing.

Jason Tarpinian - Sevan Technology

Smartsheet Aligned Partner

• L_123
    L_123 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 07/19/24

It is the created column, I wasn't aware of the dateonly() function, thanks. I've switched to that, and will see if it corrects.

• L_123
    L_123 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

It did not fix the problem. This makes my modified date/time column completely useless.

It's an odd issue

• Jason Tarpinian
    Jason Tarpinian ✭✭✭✭✭✭

The only other thing I can think of then is there is a column formula that is auto-calculating each time you open the sheet. I can't think of any specific examples of which functions do that right now (probably TODAY()), but if you open a sheet, before you even do anything, watch your formula columns to see if they flash and then your save button becomes active.

If that's what's happening, you could then just update your trigger to all columns but those culprits. So depending on how many columns you've got, that might be a lot.

Jason Tarpinian - Sevan Technology

Smartsheet Aligned Partner

• L_123
    L_123 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 07/26/24

Yeah, that's how I've got it running right now, but it makes my modified date/time column always just be the current date/time, it becomes fairly useless. I want to see how long it's been since items were touched in an easy way (not via action or cell history)

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!