Calculating formula for total pay for hours worked?

Hi, I'm wanting to create a timesheet where 1hr = (ex.) £10, and hours can be input by an individual and the smartsheet will work out how much they are owed. First calculation to be row, 5hrs = £50, second calculation to be the total of the column 5x £50 = £250.

Is there a way to assign a value to a number e.g. 1 = 10, so .5 - 5 and 2 = 20?

Answers

• Stefan
    Stefan ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @nicole.turner,

How about a sheet for e.g. a month with one column "date" (type: date), one column "hours" (type: text and numbers) and one column "total" (formatted as currency) and one column "rate/h" (formatted as currency).

Either have a top row to roll it all up (use indentation), or a bottom row where you sum up.

A formula sitting in the column "total" will SUM all hours in the column "hours" and multiply it with the value in the column "rate/h".

Example: =SUM(hours:hours) * [rate/h]1 (1 = the cell where the rate can be found)

Hope this helps

Stefan

Smartsheet Consulting, Solution Building, Training and Support.

Projects for Processes and for People.

• Hi @Stefan - I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, but each new row that is added via the form all adds up to the amount of the first row - I'm unsure what I'm doing wrong. Each new row generated, the Rate/h changed on the rows below to reflect the row they're sat on.

I have created on the form a hidden box with the Rate/h set at 25 so it auto populates every new row added. How do I get the formula to reflect the differing hours on each new row, rather than just using the newest/original?

• Stefan
    Stefan ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @nicole.turner ,

maybe my misunderstanding.

The formula I sent was meant to count all hours, because I thought you or others enter date into that sheet and you wanted to sum it all up. hours:hours takes all entries from the column "hours".

Ok, you enter data via a form and you want the column only to show the cost of each row, right?

Then: =Hours@row * [Rate/h]@row

Hope this helps

Stefan

Smartsheet Consulting, Solution Building, Training and Support.

Projects for Processes and for People.