Sign in to submit new ideas and vote
Get Started

Data Mesh Execution Frequency

Hello, I have been having a lot of timing issues with Data Mesh due to the lack of flexibility surrounding the execution time. It would be very helpful to be able to select the hour and day for the weekly execution frequency option and the hour for the daily execution frequency. For example, my business holds a weekly Tuesday meeting at 10am. The weekly option in Data Mesh currently sets the run time every Monday at 00:00. By the time we have our meeting on Tuesday the information is almost 36 hours old. I would love to run the Data Mesh Tuesday morning at 8am that way the information is up to date, and I still have time to make sure the information populated as it should.

Thank you,

10 votes

Idea Submitted · Last Updated

Comments

• I agree with the need to schedule days and times to run datamesh. This is especially important when one datamesh depends on the running of another datamesh. I get errors all the time and stale data because the run times are off. The Leadership team depends on the data to make important decisions... sometimes timing has to be specific.

• Vince Darrigo
    Vince Darrigo ✭✭✭✭

@Conner Jones one thing you can do to get around that annoyance, is:

1. add a checkbox column to the far right of the sheet you are meshing (I call it DataMesh Gate) and hide it.
    2. make a report of that sheet, mirroring the layout of the sheet itself
    3. filter that report to only show rows where Datamesh Gate is checked
    4. set datamesh up from that report instead of the sheet, to your target(s)
    5. back on the source sheet, create (in your case) an automation that runs weekly at 8am on Tuesday to check that box for all rows, and a 9am automation that unchecks that box for all rows.

Now you have what I call a one hour period each week where the Datamesh gate is unlocked and things get updated. When the gate closes at 9am, that report blanks back out and nothing datameshes again until next week on Tuesday at 8am when it reopens again.

Agreed with the general sentiment that this should not be necessary, but I've gotten used to creating strange workarounds for Smartsheet limitations because the enhancement requests largely go nowhere 😂

I hope this helps!

• Vince Darrigo
    Vince Darrigo ✭✭✭✭

@Tracy Sands the workaround I wrote in this thread may work for you as well…you could set this up for every datamesh that you need to happen in a certain order, and stagger the gate open/close period for them 1 hour at a time (perhaps overnight so the data is updated each morning)

• Thank you. I will have to look into incorporating this into a few of my sheets. I appreciate the work-around.

• CoHiker78
    CoHiker78 ✭✭✭

It would be amazing if the DataMesh frequency allowed us to schedule the frequency. Ideally, I would every month for the work I am doing.