Sign in to submit new ideas and vote
Get Started

Updating Permission Levels of Smartsheet Roles

I'd really like to see the ability for Smartsheet Admin users to be able to modify the permission levels of the existing Smartsheet roles (i.e. Viewer, Commenter, Editor, Admin, etc.). The existing roles provide flexibility in permission levels, but we need a way to modify these (even just slightly) to better fit our user expectations.

For example, our Project Managers are currently assigned to projects and are responsible for managing project plans, RAID logs, etc. Today, we've granted them only Editor permissions to their project items because we've locked down certain rows and columns that contain profile data that they should not be adjusting. However, Editor permissions do not allow for users to add additional columns, so Project Managers have to reach out to an Admin user to have new columns created per project should they have a niche requirement.

Ideally, I'd love to see Smartsheet go a step further and allow for clients to create custom roles altogether to fit the unique needs of each client. I feel this would open us up to several process improvements to how we share items in Smartsheet.

3 votes

Idea Submitted · Last Updated