Grouping and summarizing in reports

Jayy S.
Jayy S. ✭✭✭
edited 08/13/24 in Smartsheet Basics

Is there a way to have two separate groups in reports? Not one "then" another, but two separate ones. I have columns with checkboxes, and I want to group them separately so we can see which rows have "Answered?" checked and which have "Follow-up?" checked, but we don't want it to group in this way because we will have some that don't have "Answered?" checked but with "Follow-up?" checked. I realize once I have ones that don't have "Answered?" checked, it'll show up but then it'll have 6 header rows and that's ludicrous: (also those 10 empty rows at the bottom are annoying, I hope Smartsheet will get rid of those)

Also, for Summaries, can we summarize only by checked rows? Currently it summarizes how many total rows but I need it to summarize how many of each column are checked:

Answers

• Brian_Richardson
    Brian_Richardson Overachievers Alumni

I would use another column with a formula to give you a "group" that combines the two checkbox values into a single entry. Then your groups will be one level with your information.

Put this formula in a new column and then right click and set to Column Formula

=IF(AND([Answered?]@row=true,[Follow-up?]@row=true),"Answered and Follow Up", IF([Answered?]@row=true,"Answered",IF([Follow-up?]@row=true,"Follow up")))

Then group by that new column in your report.

For summaries, yes it's a little annoying that the checkbox count just counts if a checkbox exists (which it does on every row) and not if it's checked. However you probably don't need that if you simply count your new shiny combined value column, which will give you the number of entries per combined group.

If you still need a count of checked checkboxes then you can add columns to put a 1 in a cell when the checkbox is checked using a formula like =IF([Answered?]@row=true,1). Then sum that numeric value column instead of counting checkboxes.

BRIAN RICHARDSON | PMO TOOLS AND RESOURCES | HE|HIM

SEATTLE WA, USA

IRON MOUNTAIN