Formulas always there

Leann Gibson
Leann Gibson ✭✭✭✭✭
edited 08/14/24 in Formulas and Functions

I have a sheet where people submit new items via a form. When this is done, my sheet includes three columns of set formulas. These columns are not on the form. For some reason they stopped working.

What should happen: a new item is submitted, these three columns are included and automatically calculate what I need

What is happening: they show up blank

I did the drag formula all the way down and now I get "invalid date type"

it was working, any suggestions?

Tags:

Best Answer

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi,

I hope you're well and safe!

Could you convert them to column formulas? If not, see below.

The new row will be auto-filled with the formulas if there are two rows below/above with the same formulas and the same level of hierarchy.

More details:

If the formula structure is the same above/below the Formula Autofill will add the formula(s) automatically.

Conditions That Trigger Formula Autofill

You’ll see formulas populate automatically when you type in a newly inserted or blank row that is:

• Directly between two others that contain the same formula in adjacent cells.
    • At the topmost of the sheet if it’s above two rows that have the same formula in adjacent cells. (This includes rows inserted from a form.)
    • At the bottommost of the sheet if it’s below two rows that have the same formula in adjacent cells. (This includes rows inserted from a form.)
    • Above or below a single row that is between blank rows and has formulas.

More info: 

Did that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic day!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my comment(s) help/answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community and me by marking it - Insightful 💡- Vote Up ⬆️ - Aweseome ❤️ - or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer! I appreciate it, thanks!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

Answers

• Adam Murphy
    Adam Murphy ✭✭✭✭✭✭

If you right-click on the cell with the formula you should see the option at the bottom to convert to column formula, that is what you want.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi,

I hope you're well and safe!

Could you convert them to column formulas? If not, see below.

The new row will be auto-filled with the formulas if there are two rows below/above with the same formulas and the same level of hierarchy.

More details:

If the formula structure is the same above/below the Formula Autofill will add the formula(s) automatically.

Conditions That Trigger Formula Autofill

You’ll see formulas populate automatically when you type in a newly inserted or blank row that is:

• Directly between two others that contain the same formula in adjacent cells.
    • At the topmost of the sheet if it’s above two rows that have the same formula in adjacent cells. (This includes rows inserted from a form.)
    • At the bottommost of the sheet if it’s below two rows that have the same formula in adjacent cells. (This includes rows inserted from a form.)
    • Above or below a single row that is between blank rows and has formulas.

More info: 

Did that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic day!

Best,

Did my comment(s) help/answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community and me by marking it - Insightful 💡- Vote Up ⬆️ - Aweseome ❤️ - or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer! I appreciate it, thanks!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Leann Gibson
    Leann Gibson ✭✭✭✭✭

That worked, Thank you both

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!