Alt Enter causing copy&paste errors in and out of smartsheet

Elska19
Elska19 ✭✭
edited 08/15/24 in Smartsheet Basics

I've been coming across an issue in smartsheet (and in the Gov version) where some cells with a carriage return (alt + enter) do not copy and paste correctly into excel/sheets or vice versa from those platforms back into smartsheet. Exporting is fine but there are times I only need to paste a row into smartsheet from another source or paste from smartsheet into one of those two. This doesn't occur with every cell or every row and seems to have fluctuated over time in it's consistency with working vs. not. I'm not sure if this is a bug or being impacted by something else under development but it has caused troubles in completing work in a timely manner. Some rows with cells with multiple carriage returns paste fine but others will not, and not all cells with carriage returns in a row cause a problem.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? Does anyone know if there's a way to prevent this or is it out of user control?

Edited to add that this can be for any carriage return (alt + enter or ctrl + enter) and is inconsistent.

Answers

• Isaac A.
    Isaac A. Employee

Hi @Elska19!

You might be able to fix this by using the "Wrap Text" option in the cell or column where you’re pasting the information. This ensures that the carriage returns are correctly displayed.

For more details on how to use this feature, you can refer to the Formatting Options article.

I hope this information helps!

Cheers,

Isaac.

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024🎉

October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now