Inventory - How to let multiple users claim an item without seeing others' selections?

MNA1108
MNA1108
edited 08/23/24 in Smartsheet Basics

Hi All,

I'm in the process of building an inventory type system in Smartsheet for my company. I have one sheet that tracks inventory for each location. I'd like to have it so I can show employees inventory for their respective location and then if they want an item, click a checkbox and I record their responses. I do want to allow multiple people to be able to request to claim the same item but I don't want them to see what others selected (for privacy reasons). Does anyone have ideas on the best way to do this without requiring expensive add ons?

Thanks in advance!

Answers

• Adam Murphy
    Adam Murphy ✭✭✭✭✭✭

You have one sheet that has all inventory for multiple locations. How is that setup?

You want multiple people to be able to request same item but not see other selections, does this mean per individual or by location? In other words, are you saying you want people from location A to be able to request an item from location A but not have others see what they selected? Or do you mean you want people from location A to be able to request and item and nobody outside of location A can see what they selected (but within location A they can see)?

For restricting view you can use the "Current User" filter in a report on a dashboard and require that user's login (doesn't mean it costs a license necessarily). In the source sheet add a contact column for "viewers" and put one or more contact in that field for each row (assuming each row corresponds to an item in a location). Does that make sense?

For requests a helper sheet with a simple form (perhaps pre-filling in some fields) seems like a solution. You could even reduce inventory in the dashboard report via cross-sheet formula.