How do I send a form submission to two people?

JanetAB
JanetAB
edited 08/26/24 in Smartsheet Basics

G'day

We have a form for a HR process. The manager completes it during a meeting with the employee. At the end of the form when the 'send me a copy' option comes up I want to be able to also send the employee a copy of the submitted form. I think this relies on an additional workflow being set up, but I have no clue on how to do that.

Any solutions, instructions, links on this would be appreciated.

Answers

• Kerry St. Thomas
    Kerry St. Thomas ✭✭✭✭✭

A form collects information - so the event on a sheet when a form is filled out is a new row of data is added. One option on the form itself is "Send me a copy of my responses" - a person filling out a form can choose to check that box or not. Since this sounds like an HR process you don't necessarily want people to opt out of, you probably need to collect two pieces of data - either include a "Completed By" column (that collects the email) or ask the person filling out the form "What's your email address" or something similar - this covers the manager. Also, you'll need to collect "Employee this process is about" or whatever the pertinent field is about the employee - make sure that's a Contact column type on your sheet. You can then create an automation with Trigger = When rows are added (meaning it'll only send when the form is filled out), and with Action = Alert Someone. You can choose "Select Contacts in a Cell" as the people notified. You can compose the email with customizations and other things. Check out these two links for automations and customization:

https://help.smartsheet.com/learning-track/level-2-intermediate-users/automation https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/2479256-customize-the-content-of-your-alerts-and-requests

If this answer resolves your question, please help the Community by marking it as an accepted answer. I'd also be grateful for your response - "Insightful"or "Awesome" reactions are much appreciated. Thanks!

• Hi Kerry,

Thanks for your response, it's appreciated however the row on the sheet can't be shared to the employee due to privacy. Unless there's a way for them to only see their row and noone else's? I'd prefer to have 2 'send a copy of my response' buttons, one for the manager and one which then sends the say submission info to the employee.