Formula for Sum or just return a cell value

I am writing a 'difference' formula…the sum of cell 1 minus cell 2 is the difference. Easy. HOWEVER, if the value for cell 1 = 0 I want to return just the value of cell 2 and not subtract and get a negative number. Any ideas on combining these two? I know I'm close but I think I'm not connecting my formulas for IF and SUM.

Tags:

Best Answer

• SteveAtPathtoSummit
    Answer ✓

Try this:

=IF(Cell1 = 0, Cell2, Cell1 - Cell2)

• IF(Cell1 = 0, Cell2,: This part of the formula checks if the value in Cell1 is 0. If it is, the formula returns the value in Cell2.
    • Cell1 - Cell2): If Cell1 is not 0, the formula subtracts Cell2 from Cell1 and returns the result.

OR, if you are trying to avoid a negative number.

=IF(Cell1 < Cell2, Cell2, Cell1 - Cell2)

• IF(Cell1 < 0, Cell2,: This part of the formula checks if the value in Cell1 is less than Cell2. If it is, the formula returns the value in Cell2.
    • Cell1 - Cell2): If Cell1 is not less than Cell2, the formula subtracts Cell2 from Cell1 and returns the result.

Steve Mercer

Project Manager and Smartsheet Consultant

https://www.pathtosummit.com/

Answers

• Corey W.
    Corey W. ✭✭✭✭

Is it just cell1 value minus cell2 value? If so I don't think you really need the SUM function.

Something like this should work:

=IF([cell 1]@row = 0, [cell 2]@row, [cell 1]@row - [cell 2]@row)

• SteveAtPathtoSummit
    Answer ✓

Try this:

=IF(Cell1 = 0, Cell2, Cell1 - Cell2)

• IF(Cell1 = 0, Cell2,: This part of the formula checks if the value in Cell1 is 0. If it is, the formula returns the value in Cell2.
    • Cell1 - Cell2): If Cell1 is not 0, the formula subtracts Cell2 from Cell1 and returns the result.

OR, if you are trying to avoid a negative number.

=IF(Cell1 < Cell2, Cell2, Cell1 - Cell2)

• IF(Cell1 < 0, Cell2,: This part of the formula checks if the value in Cell1 is less than Cell2. If it is, the formula returns the value in Cell2.
    • Cell1 - Cell2): If Cell1 is not less than Cell2, the formula subtracts Cell2 from Cell1 and returns the result.

Steve Mercer

Project Manager and Smartsheet Consultant

https://www.pathtosummit.com/

• Annaleah Morrow
    Annaleah Morrow ✭✭✭✭✭

@SteveAtPathtoSummit that worked like a charm (the second one) and I avoided a negative number. Thank you!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!