Lead Time calculation

Hi

I am trying to create a lead time calculation to see when a request for work was submitted vs what the due date is. Purpose to report on lead time to promote better planning.

I had this working when I had a request date in my form. However I subsequently changed that field to a "created date" system field to auto populate and am unable to get the formula working again.

I tried to change the formatting of the "created date" column to match my other date formats but unable to do so.

Any idea how I can calculate the lead time on a job?

Tags:

Best Answer

• dojones
    dojones ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Check to make sure Due Date is a Date field. Then use =[Due Date]@row - [Created Date]@row to get number of days. If you want it to be dynamic from today's date, use =[Due Date]@row - TODAY()

Answers

• KPH
    KPH ✭✭✭✭✭✭

If you want to extract just the date from the system generated column you can use the DATEONLY function. Either put this around the column name when using it in your original formula (DATEONLY([Created Date]@row)) or make a new column to hold the date only (in date format) and use that in your formula.

Be aware - if you are not in GMT the date returned by the DATEONLY might not be accurate. It will change to a new date at midnight GMT even if the Created Date column shows the local time. For example, in PST the Created Date might show 09/01/2024 5:00 PM but the DATEONLY would be 09/02/2024 as 5pm PST is 1am GMT. If this is a problem for you, there is a work around but it is more complicated. Let us know if you need it.

• dojones
    dojones ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Check to make sure Due Date is a Date field. Then use =[Due Date]@row - [Created Date]@row to get number of days. If you want it to be dynamic from today's date, use =[Due Date]@row - TODAY()

• Thank you so much @dojones that worked. So happy and it was so simple.

Thanks so much @KPH for your explanation - I need to learn a lot more as to how to put formulas around a column name.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!