Is anyone encountering issues with Data Shuttle?

MikeyK93
MikeyK93
edited 09/03/24 in Smartsheet Basics

Doesn't seem to be recognising the file correctly? Keeps asking me for a source even though one has been selected.

It's clearly recognising the file as it allows me to select the unique identifier column in the mapping screen, but won't actually allow me to map any fields.

Tags:

Answers

• Isaac A.
    Isaac A. Employee

Hi @MikeyK93!

Most of the time, this issue can be related to cache or browser problems. I recommend trying the following steps:

• Use different browsers to see if the issue persists.
    • Clear your cache and try using an incognito window to see if that resolves the problem.

Additionally, I noticed that your source file is located on "OneDrive & SharePoint." I suggest attaching the source file to a Smartsheet as an attachment and then using the "Smartsheet attachment" option. This way, you can determine if the issue is with the file location or the file itself.

You may also want to check this related community thread: Data Shuttle not working – Please select a source and review this help article for guidance: Create a Data Shuttle upload workflow.

If after trying all these steps you're still experiencing trouble, I recommend reaching out to our Support team for further assistance through a private channel.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,

Isaac.

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024🎉

October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• Thanks Isaac. I've implemented a workaround by importing to PBI and Exporting with different datatypes. There's something wrong with the metadata in the source file which is causing this problem. I know this as I've used this OneDrive location for a few things before without incident.

This workflow is now up and running so I'm happy, but for my own education, are you aware of anything that might cause this problem? If certain columns were a certain data type, or something else not quite right with the metadata within the CSV causing this problem?

Also, you mentioned about connecting to a Smartsheet attachment. Our use case of Data Shuttle is primaly that we want data to be refreshing on an automated basis without additional input. OneDrive supports this functionality as we can schedule reports from our systems to be sent to OneDrive, and then imported into Smartsheet using DataShuttle, which is really powerful. I'm not sure we'd be able to replicate this functionality by connecting to a Smartsheet attachment? Is there a way to automatically update Smartsheet attachments similarly to how Data Shuttle operates with updating sheets?

Thanks.

• Isaac A.
    Isaac A. Employee

Hey @MikeyK93 I'm glad to hear that your workflow is up and running now!

Regarding the data type issue, I haven't encountered any specific cases where certain column data types directly cause this problem. However, I have seen other cases where the file type can lead to similar issues. A good approach is to try both CSV and XLSX formats to troubleshoot. Additionally, hidden tabs in your file can sometimes cause DataShuttle not to recognize the source correctly, so make sure to remove any hidden tabs. I found a relevant example in this thread that might be worth checking out: Data Shuttle not working - Please select a source.

Here's an excerpt from the thread: "I had this same issue and managed to solve it. My Excel only had one tab, so I had set the 'Tab Number' on the 'Source' page to 1. However, when I changed this to 2, the column mapping was available, and the import worked. I'm guessing Excel assigns a numerical reference to tabs, and if a tab is deleted, it still maintains that reference number, which I'm assuming Smartsheet is looking up to do the import."

As for your second question, unfortunately, Smartsheet alone doesn’t currently support automatic updates to attachments. However, you can use a third-party app like Zapier to automate this process and mimic the functionality you're currently using with OneDrive and DataShuttle.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,

Isaac.

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024🎉

October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now