Tracking specific changes in a project plan to second sheet for reporting

TMast
TMast ✭✭
edited 09/06/24 in Smartsheet Basics

We have many project plans that are in our portfolio and I want to be able to report from each project plan when a CHANGE is made for only three fields of the many that are on the sheet.

The fields are in the sheet summary and then in a formula in the first row of the project plan for reporting purposes.

My goal is that if a change occurs in the first row to one of the below fields that I can then put the changes in new sheet that is a Changes only sheet for our review.

Fields: Start date, backlog status, backlog comments.

I have tried a copy when those fields change, but it takes all 100 rows of the project plan to the changes sheet I created.

My Goal is to have a sheet documenting these three fields on each project when they are changed. It would be great if I could get the prior date or prior status as well when the change is made documented if possible. Maybe a helper column could hold that - not sure if that is possible.

Client name New Date Old Date New Status Old Status Current comments

Answers

• Brian_Richardson
    Brian_Richardson Overachievers Alumni

You really need Control Center, which will pass this type of data in a scaled environment of hundreds/thousands of projects…over to a summary sheet that you can then leverage.

You're getting all the rows on a Copy Row automation because either the change to the Summary Field is getting applied to every row through a column formula, or your first row has children.

You could setup a separate row that has no children, and just pulls in the summary row data, then have an automation trigger for that row on change and copy to another sheet. You may need to use a row identifier of some kind as a condition in your automation. So for example have a cell with a value like "First Row" and filter for that in your automation.

BRIAN RICHARDSON | PMO TOOLS AND RESOURCES | HE|HIM

SEATTLE WA, USA

IRON MOUNTAIN