Automation Not Working

aborder
aborder ✭✭
edited 09/09/24 in Smartsheet Basics

Hello,

I'm at a loss. I've created several automation rules in the past and I cannot figure out why this is not working for me. I have a simple sheet with the following columns:

• Status (single select dropdown)
  • Sub-Category (text)
  • Task (text)
  • Assignee (single contact column)

The automation rule is triggered when the Assignee changes to Any Value, where the Assignee is not blank AND the Status is one of Not Started.

I can get it to run when I manually trigger the rule, but cannot get it to automatically do it. Please help!

Tags:

Best Answer

• Brian_Richardson
    Brian_Richardson Overachievers Alumni
    Answer ✓

Looks like it's setup simply and clearly - no reason it shouldn't run.

I'd check a couple of things:

1. Are you giving it enough time? Sometimes automations take a surprisingly long time to fire off
    2. Are you setting yourself as the Assignee for testing? If so, then you won't get notifications from this automation unless you go into your Personal Settings and check the "Include my changes in sheet notifications" checkbox.
    3. Are your automation permissions set to Restricted (default), and if so are your assignees shared to the sheet? May need to adjust permissions or sharing to get the notifications out, depending on your audience.
    4. Did you check spam folders? Sometimes my alerts go to spam randomly on Gmail
    5. Did you check the Alerts window to see if the alert is firing, but maybe not making it through email?

BRIAN RICHARDSON | PMO TOOLS AND RESOURCES | HE|HIM

SEATTLE WA, USA

IRON MOUNTAIN

Answers

• Brian_Richardson
    Answer ✓

Looks like it's setup simply and clearly - no reason it shouldn't run.

I'd check a couple of things:

1. Are you giving it enough time? Sometimes automations take a surprisingly long time to fire off
    2. Are you setting yourself as the Assignee for testing? If so, then you won't get notifications from this automation unless you go into your Personal Settings and check the "Include my changes in sheet notifications" checkbox.
    3. Are your automation permissions set to Restricted (default), and if so are your assignees shared to the sheet? May need to adjust permissions or sharing to get the notifications out, depending on your audience.
    4. Did you check spam folders? Sometimes my alerts go to spam randomly on Gmail
    5. Did you check the Alerts window to see if the alert is firing, but maybe not making it through email?

SEATTLE WA, USA

IRON MOUNTAIN

• aborder
    aborder ✭✭

Hi Brian, I just changed the user settings for myself and it worked! Thank you so much! It was giving me such a headache! You're the best!

• Brian_Richardson

Heh you're welcome. That "notify myself" setting is a gotcha. It's so buried and not called out anywhere.

SEATTLE WA, USA

IRON MOUNTAIN