Dynamic View Filter Not Pulling Parent Rows

Sara_Cook
Sara_Cook Overachievers Alumni
edited 10/07/24 in Add Ons and Integrations

I have a sheet with a filter where "include parent rows" is selected. When the sheet itself is filtered using that filter, it DOES display ALL parent rows. (Dark purple, light purple, yellow)

I created a Dynamic View from that sheet, and I selected "Restrict view by sheet filter" when setting up my Dynamic View, using the same filter shown above.

However, the Dynamic View looks different than the sheet - it does not display all parent rows. It's only displaying the immediate parent row - yellow - and not displaying the dark purple and light purple parent rows. (it also doesn't indent, which is another issue :)

I need the filter ON and the parent rows to display on my Dynamic View, otherwise it not usable. I don't want to have to write out "2025, Q1" etc on every yellow row - that's inefficient. I also don't want to have to give other people access to the actual sheet just to see parent rows. Help please!

NOTE: I have also tried setting up a filter within the Dynamic View itself - that does not work either. There is no option to select parent rows. This is the Filter box within the DV itself - no option for selecting parent rows:

Tips/tricks/help please and thanks!!

Tags:

Best Answers

• jmyzk_cloudsmart_jp
    jmyzk_cloudsmart_jp ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @Sara_Cook

To solve the issue of parent rows not displaying correctly in Dynamic View, you can use a helper column instead of the "Include parent rows" option.

Create a Helper Column:

Add a new column called [ANC] with the formula =COUNT(ANCESTORS()). This column will count how many ancestor rows each row has. Grand Parent rows will have a count of 0, Parent rows will have a count of 1, Child rows will have a count of 2, and so on.

Set up a Filter Condition:

In your Dynamic View filter, you can apply a condition on the [ANC] column, such as:

• Show rows where [ANC] is one of the following. (1, 2, 3) (this will include all parent rows except grand parent rows).

Apply to Dynamic View:

Once the filter condition is set, it will ensure that all or selected parent rows are displayed. This filter is now controlled by the [ANC] column and not dependent on the built-in “Include parent rows” option, which might have limitations in Dynamic View.
    This workaround ensures that parent rows are pulled into your Dynamic View, addressing the issue of missing higher-level parent rows while allowing more flexibility in controlling the display of parent-child relationships.

https://app.smartsheet.com/b/publish?EQBCT=ff71ccbf20b24f67a0f5417326eabba5

Include Parent Rows Filter Image

The include parent rows filter option is working in a sheet.

Dynamic View with Include Parent Rows Filter

As you stated in your comment, the filter does not show all level parent rows in a Dynamic View.

Dynamic View using ANC (Number of Ancestors Column) as Filter condition

The Dynamic View shows parent rows as we defined in the sheet filter.

• Sara_Cook
    Answer ✓

Just an update to close this out. I used Levels in my filter and it works! I had to manipulate my filter a bit to get just the things I wanted PLUS the levels, but overall it works nicely. Thanks for the tip, @jmyzk_cloudsmart_jp .

Answers

• jmyzk_cloudsmart_jp
    Answer ✓

Hi @Sara_Cook

To solve the issue of parent rows not displaying correctly in Dynamic View, you can use a helper column instead of the "Include parent rows" option.

Create a Helper Column:

Add a new column called [ANC] with the formula =COUNT(ANCESTORS()). This column will count how many ancestor rows each row has. Grand Parent rows will have a count of 0, Parent rows will have a count of 1, Child rows will have a count of 2, and so on.

Set up a Filter Condition:

In your Dynamic View filter, you can apply a condition on the [ANC] column, such as:

• Show rows where [ANC] is one of the following. (1, 2, 3) (this will include all parent rows except grand parent rows).

Apply to Dynamic View:

Once the filter condition is set, it will ensure that all or selected parent rows are displayed. This filter is now controlled by the [ANC] column and not dependent on the built-in “Include parent rows” option, which might have limitations in Dynamic View.
    This workaround ensures that parent rows are pulled into your Dynamic View, addressing the issue of missing higher-level parent rows while allowing more flexibility in controlling the display of parent-child relationships.

https://app.smartsheet.com/b/publish?EQBCT=ff71ccbf20b24f67a0f5417326eabba5

Include Parent Rows Filter Image

The include parent rows filter option is working in a sheet.

Dynamic View with Include Parent Rows Filter

As you stated in your comment, the filter does not show all level parent rows in a Dynamic View.

Dynamic View using ANC (Number of Ancestors Column) as Filter condition

The Dynamic View shows parent rows as we defined in the sheet filter.

• Sara_Cook

Thank you, I will try that!!

• jmyzk_cloudsmart_jp
    edited 10/08/24

Happy to help😉!

• Sara_Cook
    Answer ✓

Just an update to close this out. I used Levels in my filter and it works! I had to manipulate my filter a bit to get just the things I wanted PLUS the levels, but overall it works nicely. Thanks for the tip, @jmyzk_cloudsmart_jp .