Using form to populate column

Laetitia
Laetitia
edited 10/16/24 in Smartsheet Basics

Hello team,

it might be very silly and I apologize if this is the case.

I am trying to do something that I thought would be relatively simple but from what I have seen so far it seems like the solutions are super tricky.

My problem is: I have some barcodes of my inventory in one of my columns and another column with the status. Normally this status column is blank until the item is empty and in this case we need to change the status. This column I created it to be as a drop-down with either "empty" or "ordered".

The idea is to use either a form or an automation in which I will only have to type in the barcode and automatically the status will be updating using this form or automation.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Answers

• David Tutwiler
    David Tutwiler Overachievers Alumni

You should be able to use the Automation Change Cell Value to do this. I would imagine it would look like this:

Trigger - When rows are added or changed → When {Your Barcode Column} changes to {Any Value} - Run when Triggered

Action - Change Cell Value - {Your Status Column} - "Ordered"

It would look similar to this:

• Hey,
    Thanks for the suggestion.
    However, I do not need to change the barcode cell I want it to stay the same. Basically I am looking to just find it easily instead of using CTRL + F. Specially for bulk update, on which I thought either a form or an automation would be of interest!