On a form, can I get a comment into the "conversations" section so it will appear as Latest Comment?

Cathy Salscheider
Cathy Salscheider ✭✭✭✭✭
edited 10/15/24 in Smartsheet Basics

We are redoing our intake process and will be using a form to gather information. The sponsor wants a Comment column, for other comments, of course. We are trying to move consistently into using the Lastest Comment column, which means capturing comments / conversations. I did not see a way to include comments/conversations on a form. Is this doable? Thanks!

Answers

• You can include the Latest Comment column on your form, but if what you're wanting to do is send that latest comment to the user to get a reply, you could do so with an update request automation. Include the Comment bubble on the mini-form and the user will be able to see all the previous comments, and add their own, which would then appear in your latest comment column on your sheet.

Just be wary of creating an infinite loop with your automations. You may prefer to send the update requests manually to avoid that, or schedule your automation for a day/time instead of upon the latest comment field being changed, or add a checkbox helper column to trigger from, and an automation to uncheck the box after the update request is sent.

• Cathy Salscheider
    Cathy Salscheider ✭✭✭✭✭

@HLChristiansen Thank you for the reply. I looked to try to put Lastest Comment on the form, but as it is a system column, it is not available. I am not looking the send anything to the user. I need an input form for the leader to use to enter their new project requests. Thus, an automation will not be an option.

Thanks.

• Weird, it is available for me, but it doesn't work the way you want. the comment is lost as soon as someone else adds to the conversation. As in, it doesn't save the comment to the conversations bubble, just to the "latest comment". Since you can't automate a copy data from a cell to conversations currently, you're left with using a "request details" type column for your form, and then if you need to clarify, use the update request and include both the 'request details" column and the conversation bubble.

Maybe someone else knows a better way, possibly through the API, if you're able to do that.