Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

I need both dependencies and predecessors

Jordan Jones
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2017 Posts

I have used the predecessor column and love it but I need to also have a dependency column.  For instance if I have task 1, 2, and 3 and 3 has a predecessor of 2 and 2 has a predecessor of 1 then I want to know that 2 has a dependency of 3.  Knowing the predecessor only tells me what needs to be completed before the task.  I also need to know what is going to be affected downstream if I change a task.

Comments

• Hi Jordan,

I think you're looking for something similar to a "Successors" column. This feature currently isn't available in Smartsheet but when you have a moment, please submit your feedback to our Product team directly with the Product Enhancement Request form under Quick links on the right of the community site.

For now, any tracking of successors has to be done manually by adding a text/number column to your sheet and typing in the row numbers of your successors; however, this won't dynamically change task duration and can't be represented in the Gantt chart.

• Nel C
    Nel C ✭✭✭

Hi Jordan,

Please take a look at the following:

https://community.smartsheet.com/discussion/looking-turn-predecessors-cell-comma-delimited-list-without-ff-fs-x-d-etc#comment-83186

You can use it to dynamically understand what tasks are impacted by a given row.  As Shaine indicates above, I don't suggest copying and pasting the data into a column as the data will be stale as soon as rows are inserted or deleted. (Alternatively, I guess you could do this, if you wanted to replace the "HasSucessors" column formula to return the UNIQUE ID instead of the row ID, where, UNIQUE ID is an autonumber generated id that remains even as rows are moved around, new rows are added or deleted.

HOpe it is helpful to you. 

This discussion has been closed.