Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Sharing Smartsheet

Options
Lawrence Liu
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2017 Posts

I have a SmartSheet that I would like to share with multiple Vendors.

However in the documents are some sensitive data that these vendors should not see.  How can I share without having to create a separate documents.

Comments

• Richard Rymill SBP
    Richard Rymill SBP ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Lawrence

Depends if you need your vendors to "Read Only" or to respond by editing what you share with them? 

if it is read only, that's nice n easy. Create a Report for every variation of the Data you wish to share but do NOT SHARE the sheet or Report with them, instead set up an automated output of the report by email using PDF or Excel (not the Smartsheet Report because to do that, you would also have to share the master sheet) 

If you wish your Vendors to edit what you share then, its either One sheet per Vendor for best confidentiality? Then embed some KPIs into their Sheets which you cell link back to your master which will contain ALL your Confidential Data as well Plus the Response KPIs from vendors. 

Or Use a Report which takes data from all your vendors sheets and summarises it it for you and you can respond/ edit right there in the Report which YOU can see but they cannot. 

There you go, you have some choices? 

Hope that helps? 

If you need more than that, you will have to let me know?

RichardR 

Smarter Business Processes

Contact details in my profile :) 

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 11/01/17
    Options

Lawrence,

Do they need to edit or only view?

Best option may be to set up Reports for each vendor but only share the published version with them, not the original Report -- as that requires them to have access to the sheet.

Avoid at all costs anything that requires you to share the sheet with them, as there are ways to get around most obstacles you set in their way.

Craig

UPDATE: Richard and I were typing at the same time. What he said.

• Lawrence Liu
    Options

The smartsheet I am sharing is a live document on task different vendors have to monitor that affects them.  There are some columns I need to hide away from them but is important for me.

If I understand correctly what both are saying is that I keep my smartsheet but create another that links back to mine just for their view.

I have 5 or more vendors looking at it, i will end up with lots of virtual sheets.

I have not tried link cells yet.  If I add rows will it automatically appear on those linked sheet?  I tried a sample and it only allow me to select link by range not entire column.  I am worried that when I keep adding rows I might forget to add them into all those virtual sheets.

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Lawrence,

There is no automation associated with cell-linking yet.

Craig

This discussion has been closed.