Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Error while pasting the copied batch of rows

Options
ozgur kaya
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2015 Posts

Hi; when I try to paste a group of copied rows in my sheet (approximately 100 rows of 20 columns) I get the following error message:

Because of system forces me to logout; I cannot paste the intended rows on top of my sheet. I wonder what is the problem and solution?

save_error_msg_2.JPG

Tags:

Comments

• JamesR
    JamesR ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I cannot remember exactly but I believe that there is a limit of about 50 rows.  I looked in help but cannot find it but have come accross this issue before and if you keep below 50 it seams to be OK.

I hope that helps.

• Travis
    Travis Employee
    edited 07/20/15
    Options

Hi ozgur, I looked into the errors you are getting and it appears the amount of data you are pasting in exceeds our maximum save size. Try pasting in less rows (two pastes with 50 row each) and see if that works.

I just tested this and pasted in (from Excel) 40 columns and 100 rows of data and did not receive an error. Each of my cells only contained a few words so it sounds like your cells may contain more data than what I was testing with. 

• ozgur kaya
    Options

Hi Travis, James and many thanks for your feedback.

I can copy the data by dividing it to the two parts (50 rows each time); but in that case predecessors in the second half are being broken; and so the gantt chart is being broken. Any insight to prevent this?

• Travis
    Travis Employee
    Options

Try copying in only the predecessor column values after the other data is in your sheet. Keep in mind, this will copy in the exact values (not relative to tasks).

• ozgur kaya
    Options

Ok I tried it; but copy pasting exact values doesn't work for my sheet structure. it must be relative to tasks. I have a group of rows for each project and I'm afraid I have to divide them into separate sheets if there is no way of copy-pasting predecessor values relatively. Should I start to design a new structure?

• Travis
    Travis Employee
    Options

Predecessors are not copied from sheet to sheet because they are specific to the rows in each sheet and are not relative to tasks. Without knowing your exact processes and sheet contents its hard for me to suggest designing a new structure for your sheets or not but there may be a way to work around predecessors not being relative to tasks. For example, if you are moving rows 1-50 from one sheet to another, you could paste the rows into the first 50 rows of the destination sheet, paste in the predecessors (which will be accurate because the row numbers are the same), then move the 50 rows to the desired location (the predecessor values will update when the rows are moved).  

• ozgur kaya
    Options

Ok, thanks for the insight. I tried to copy & paste the predecessors column to an excel sheet and using it as a "predecessors column template". No matter how many parts I split the main data while copying & pasting in smartsheet; I can later copy the pred. column content from excel and paste it into the pred. column of smartsheet's new row block. It is a little bit tedious; but seems working for now.

This discussion has been closed.