Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Task Duration - Partial day at beginning of period, not the end

Options
James H
James H
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2017 Posts

Hi, I notice when you add a half day duration to a task, it places the half day at the end of the period, for example a start date of 13/11/17 (Monday) with a duration of 2.5 days will result in the half day being on the Wednesday. Is it possible to make the half day on the Monday and the full day on the Wednesday? I'm using this for a holiday planner where the first vacation day might be the 0.5 day as opposed to the final day.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Comments

• Schiff A.
    Schiff A. Employee
    Options

Hi James,

Because End Dates are calculated as Start Date + Duration, the first date of a task will be a full day (unless the task lasts less than one day).

You can let our product team know that you'd like start dates to occur part way through a day by clicking on the Submit Product Enhancement Request link on the right-side pane of the Community.

Thanks,

Schiff

Smartsheet Support

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

If you are using Dependencies (and I suspect you are) you can force the half-day to be at the start like as shown in the attached image.

I set a 0 duration task to allow the half-day to begin 4 hours after that task.

I hope the image is clear.

Craig

Half-Day.png

• James H
    Options

Hi Craig, 

Interesting idea and got me thinking, but unfortunately I can't get this to work in my scenario. The team input their absence requests via a form, so entries are on sequential lines in Smartsheet. Using the above, requires that I add in the additional lines which I'm not wanting to do. For now, any absence starting with the half day period requires the individual submit an additional half day request - not ideal, but works for now.

James

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Depending on how much pain the process is, there might be a way to trigger a new row using Zapier (www.zapier.com)

Craig

This discussion has been closed.