Cell Linking based on criteria

rflowers
rflowers
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

Hi, I'm looking to link rows and/or cells from one sheet to another based on certain criteria (e.g. if cell in col X = a certain value, link that row to another sheet).

Is this possible?

Tags:

Comments

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭

In my experience, cell linking is a completely manual process and cannot be intermingled with formulas or conditional statements. For a complete primer on cell linking, check out this article on cell linking.

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

It sounds like what you need is X-Sheet References to do this, not cell linking.That functionality was not available when the OP was originally written.

Craigg

• PeggyLang
    PeggyLang ✭✭✭✭✭

@rflowers I am wanting to do exactly what your question is, i.e., if meeting minute is marked 'follow/up' then link to next meeting agenda.

Did you work through a solution to this question?

@J. Craig Williams 'x-sheet references' Not sure I understand that. Can you expand on that thought?

• Hi @PeggyLang

I do something similar with my meeting notes: the way I have this set up is that there's a source sheet containing all meeting tasks/minutes. Then I use a Row Report to Group together line items by date (instead of hyperlinking).

There's a checkbox column to indicate if the specific row requires a follow-up. If that checkbox is checked, it stays in the Report for next week (using Filters in the Report to control this). However if that's un-checked and the "Complete" box is checked, the Report filters it out so there's a clean view for the following week's meeting.

Cheers!

Genevieve

• PeggyLang
    PeggyLang ✭✭✭✭✭

@Genevieve P. thank you so much for your feedback.

I have actually been playing with row report based on column from the meeting minutes. I have included the link to row report at the top of the meeting agenda, i.e., the first meeting agenda item for each meeting is to view row report and speak to items that are lingering.

Sounded like a good idea - really glad to have validation from someone who uses this.

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@PeggyLang

"x-sheet references" == cross sheet references.

They provide greater flexibility when trying to link more data than a few cells between sheets. The tutorial used to be pretty decent to get started if this is new concept.

Craig