Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Odd Outlook question

Jamison
Jamison ✭✭✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2015 Posts

Hi - I had tried to add the outlook add-in at one point, but because I have an o365 account through work that redirected me at the login, it didn't work. I would try and get it using the link on the smartsheet site via the store (https://store.office.com/WA104379434.aspx) - I'd get a 403 access denied - and I still do if i try it that way.

So today I went to the web app for outlook365 and I see a Smartsheet icon in my list of apps! - no idea where that came from. So, I click on it and i get a screen that says, "thanks for using your azure ad / office 365 account" and sent me a confirmation email.

When I clicked on the link it brought me to smartsheet. And that is where I am - so, i am a bit stuck at the moment. In this period of going from being denied to the icon showing up in my app list, my trial ended. So, I am currently only in an "export/read only" mode. There is also no mention of outlook in my apps/integration area of my account info.

Do I need to be active in order to have the connection get made so I can see the add in? 

Thanks!

Capture.PNG

Capture3.PNG

Tags:

Comments

• Daniel Stein
    Daniel Stein Employee
    edited 08/06/15

Hi Jamison,

Thanks for reaching out! To answer your question, Smartsheet for Outlook won't work properly with an expired trial account, because all of your sheets will be locked for editing. 

Regarding your installation state: It sounds like you don't have Smartsheet for Outlook installed yet. If you have it installed, you will see a "Smartsheet (Beta)" tab in your Outlook inbox, right above the message preview. (The "Smartsheet" icon you saw in your app launcher is probably there because you have previously logged into Smartsheet using your Microsoft credentials. Clicking on the icon launches Smartsheet proper.)

Our support article has steps to install and use Smartsheet for Outlook, including screenshots: http://help.smartsheet.com/customer/portal/articles/1960482-smartsheet-app-for-outlook-beta-

Let me know if you have follow-up questions, or feel free to email support@smartsheet.com

Best regards,

Daniel

• P.S. You may also like to check out our video about Smartsheet for Outlook, which will show you a demo of how it works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxeO4PHKSsc

• Jamison
    Jamison ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks - I did pourchase a subscription, unfortunately, that didnt clear anything up on this issue.

When I do try and add the app via the store it says, "403 access  denied". I am guessing that is a function of my administrator limiting my ability to add an app,

For other similar products, they have add-ins that simply reside in the native applications (and work in Outlook 2010, for example). Is there any chance you'll integrate that kind of add on or even a simple "mail to" feature? Seems like even the most basic task lists have that.

Thanks.

• Thanks for the update. I agree that the error may be a result of your Office account's admin settings, and it may be worth checking with your admin to see if they can enable apps for Office.  Also, note that Smartsheet for Outlook requires your mailbox to be on Office 365 and does not support on-premises Exchange.

For our add-in, we're focusing on the latest Office platform, which runs on both the client (Outlook 2013 and later) and web apps. While it's unlikely we'll build an app for the older platform (that runs in Outlook 2010), we do indeed agree that there is value in a "mail to" capability and will track your feedback to add this feature.

Feel free to let us know if you have any further questions or feedback.

Thanks,

Daniel

• Jamison
    Jamison ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you - Now, if only it didn't take an act of God to allow for add-ins. :-)

• Jamison
    Jamison ✭✭✭✭✭

Just thought I would close the loop on this question. Turns out it was a setting on our admin side of things. We are rolling out O365 to our company (45,000+) and I am in the trial group.  The issue was that there is a “My Marketplace Apps” that is not enabled by default for the Default Organization Policy and it appears to control the capability to install add-ons. Thanks.

Now to start using it and see if all the trouble was worth it.

This discussion has been closed.