Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Formula help

Loann McGee
Loann McGee ✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2015 Posts

Well - I have the formula right if I don't place it in the referenced cell. However, I'd love to be able to put this formula in the "Status" column cell it is referencing to avoid adding another column.

Help? 

=IF(ISBLANK(Status1112), "Active")

I have 1800 columns that need this formula added, so I can't wait to get it in place.

Blessings,

Loann

Comments

• Brett Evans
    Brett Evans ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 08/06/15

Loann,

Could you describe the problem you're trying to solve a little more, perhaps add a link or a screenshot?  Right now it seems like your IF  statement needs another argument, it only has the one "Active" after the ISBLANK conditional instead of two seperated by a comma.

• JamesR
    JamesR ✭✭✭✭✭✭

You are creating a circular reference. A formula canot reference itself and change its self at the same time.  It can reference something else and display the result in itself.

You may be able to use conditional formatting to colour the cell red or green to indicate it is active.

• Loann McGee
    Loann McGee ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Here are two screen shots - one just showing the columns and where the result of the formula resides. The other showing the formula in the cell.

What I need is for the result to be placed in the status column - I'll live with needing an extra column to house the formula. ;-)

We have a drop-down list in the Status column - Active, Inactive, Obsolete. But we want the default to be Active, which can then be manually overridden if the status changes.

Formulas are obviously not my strong suit. Thanks for the help!
    Blessings,

Loann

Status.JPG

Status Formula.JPG

• JamesR
    JamesR ✭✭✭✭✭✭

You do not need the Extra column.  Now i know what you want then just type the following into the status cell ="Active"

This will put the word Active in the cell.  Any new rows you add will automaticly copy the formulae down, unless you change the status befor you add the new row as when you change the status you will overwrite the formula.

Have a go and let me know if its what you need.

• Loann McGee
    Loann McGee ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Leave it to me to make it more complicated than it should have been.

Simple fix - bless you!!! **Hangs head in embarrassment** Embarassed

This discussion has been closed.