Notify the record creator when a comment is made

Tom Isaacs
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

I have a rule set up as follows:

When a row is updated, notify Created By right away

I thought this would send a notification to the email address in Created By when a comment is added, updated or deleted, but it doesn't appear to be working. Am I doing it wrong?

Comments

• Alison
    Alison Employee
    edited 01/31/18

Hello Tom,

Thank you for this question! 

I was able to test this and trigger a notification based on a comment being added when my Notification rule was set to "When anything on the sheet changes."  I've attached an example of my settings below.  Please let me know if this does not work for you!

If you're adding these comments and not receiving these notifications, you may want to check if you have your Personal Settings set to notify yourself of your own changes. 

This can be set under "Account" > "Personal Settings" > "Notifications" > check "Include my changes in sheet notifications" checkbox.

Please let me know if you have further questions on this.

Kind regards,

Alison

Smartsheet Support

Screen Shot 2018-01-31 at 8.09.34 AM.png

• Hi Alison,

Many thanks for your reply. I only want to notify the creator of the row which has changed, the creator is stored in a Created By column as the rows are created from a form.

Tom

• Alison
    Alison Employee
    edited 01/31/18

Hello Tom,

Thanks for clarifying this!  I think that you can make this work with a System Column as well; I just did some testing and I was able to see the notification come through with a rule to notify when "a row is added, updated, or deleted" set up to go to a "Contact in column."  I was able to choose my Created By System Column as well. 

I've attached an image of how I have that set up below.

Please let me know if you do not see this work.

Kind regards,

Alison

Smartsheet Support

Screen Shot 2018-01-31 at 9.01.17 AM.png

• Hi Alison,

I've set up the rule as per the attached screenshot but the creators are still not receiving notifications for new comments. Could there be a conflict as I also have a rule notifying me of any changes?

FYI I have tested this on email addresses within our organisation and also personal email addresses (gmail) to ensure there wasn't a firewall/spam filter issue.

Tom

Untitled.png

• Thought I'd follow up to this. I added a notification to a record today and instantly received an email warning that there were invalid recipients for my alerts, not something that has happened before, is this a new feature?

"To include these recipients, you may need to do one or more of the following:

1. Check your Alerts & Actions Permissions. Click on the Alerts & Actions tab at the bottom of your sheet. Click the Settings icon to modify permission levels to include the invalid recipients.

2. Edit your notification recipients. In Alerts & Actions, edit the rule named "Notification to submitter when something changes" by double-clicking it.

3. Check with your account administrator to ensure appropriate email addresses are whitelisted for your organization."

Anyway, I found the settings icon and modified the setting to allow notifications to any email address and it all appears to be working as expected now.

Tom