Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Counting in summary reports

Chris Winfield
Chris Winfield ✭✭✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2015 Posts

Hi All,

I'm interested if anyone has found a good way to use sheets or reports to count fields meeting a given criteria from another sheet. 

In my particular case I have one sheet that lists (and links to) project sheets. I would like to have another sheet/report that counts how many projects are green/have a particular sponsor, etc.

Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

Comments

• Hello Chris,

We do something that sounds similar to what you want.  We have one Main Directory sheet that lists and links to other project sheets.

On the Main Directory for example, we have a link to Open Customer Service Issues and in the cell to the right of it is the count of how many open isses we currently have.  This cell is linked to a Counting Cell on the Customer Service Issues sheet.

On the top row of our Customer Service Issue Sheet, we have a summary row that basically counts or sums up the open issues.  We have a column that is called Count.  And in that cell of each row is an "=IF()" statement that puts a "1" in the cell if the issue is still Open and a "0" if it is closed.  Then the top row just simply adds up the 1's and 0's.  We would typically put this in a parent/child(indented) relationship, so we could use the function "=sum(children())" in the top row.  But you could just sum all the rows together if you had to.

Hope that helps.  Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Joel

• Chris Winfield
    Chris Winfield ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 08/13/15

Hi Joel - not a bad idea. I'll look into this approach.

Thanks, Chris.

This discussion has been closed.