Enhancement Request: Report Criteria What? on Dropdown column like Text/Number

Options
J. Craig Williams
J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Formulas and Functions

When I have a Dropdown column for the What? criteria of a Report, my only option is some version of the "is one of" criteria.

What I want is to be able to build the criteria like a Text/Number column, for example using "contains"

Use Case:

I have a drop down list like this:

Building 1

Building 2

Building 3

Building 4

Building 5

Building 6

Truck 1

Truck 2

Truck 3

Computer 1

Computer 2

etc..

I want to build a report on all rows with "Building".

To do so, I have to select all the options with "Building" and as soon as a new Building is added to the list, I have to find and update all Reports that use this as the criteria. Time consuming. Prone to error. Not scalable.

If I could build a Report that says "contains "Building"" then all those problems go away.

The work-around, of course, is to build another Column that pulls the type into a Text/Number column (or a Drop down, but I'd likely use the Text/Number), but columns may be precious, large numbers of rows with extra formulas, yada yada yada.

Craig

This request has also be posted to the Form

(the image below is just an example of the What? criteria, not from the example above)

Report_Criteria_DropdownWhat.png

Comments

• Shaine Greenwood
    Options

Otherwise, you'd want to set up a notification of some kind on all of your sheets which alerts you to a column change, and then manually select the new building in your report builder criteria. It's a manual process, but maybe more scalable than the third column/formula trick.

Still, not as convenient as a "contains" criteria option for dropdown list columns.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!