Receiving #UNPARSEABLE error on simple If formula

Options
andrew.taylor37161
andrew.taylor37161 ✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

I am checking a cell to see if it contains a name, If true, I want to return another cell value, if false blank.

Error.JPG

Comments

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

=IF([Building Manager]1="Ron Hendrickson", [Contracted Hours]1)

It is assumed if the IF Statement isn't Ron Hendrickson, then the field will be blank. You could also code it with a , "" at the end like this. 

=IF([Building Manager]1="Ron Hendrickson", [Contracted Hours]1, "")

You had the right idea, but you were missing the = sign after [Building Manger]1 and you were only searching for Ron instead of the full name. Not sure if that was intentional or not. 

Hope that helps! 

• andrew.taylor37161
    Options

Hi Mike

That worked. Thanks for your help.

I thought I had tried the = in one of my attempts.

The "Ron" was just one of the thousand variations I tried...ha ha.

I had also tried to put a "" in the false argument. 

Again, thanks heaps.

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Glad I could help out! 

In regard to errors, this link is very helpful in understanding what they are: https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/2476176-formula-error-messages

And I keep this link bookmarked when trying to grasp the syntax and structure of different formulas: https://help.smartsheet.com/functions

• HSL
    Options

I’m in a similar spot, but even with the suggestions made, I am still getting the #UNPARSEABLE error. Any ideas? Thanks

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hi @HSL

Your quotes look angled or curved - Smartsheet will return an error if the quotes used are curved instead of straight up and down, like this: "

Try re-typing in the quotes directly in Smartsheet (versus copying/pasting from somewhere else), that should get rid of the error!

Cheers,

Genevieve

• joseph_mojo
    Options

I am having a similar problem. I am trying to return the adjacent value in Phase when the value in Status = "IN-PROGRESS":

=IF([Status]@row= "IN-PROGRESS", [Phase]@row, "")

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi,

I hope you're well and safe!

Can you elaborate more specifically on what you want to show in the Sheet Summary?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Genevieve P.
    Options

Hi @joseph_mojo

I agree it would be helpful to know more about what you're wanting to do. I see you're entering the formula into a Summary field, but that type of formula would normally go in each row, since you're looking at the row with @row.

It sounds like you want to perhaps bring back whatever Phase is currently the one "in progress", is that correct? Is there ever a possibility that 2 phases could be in progress at the same time?

If not, try:

=INDEX(COLLECT(Phase:Phase, Status:Status, "IN-PROGRESS"), 1)

Cheers,
    Genevieve

• joseph_mojo
    Options

Yes and thank you for the help!!

I am trying to understand what phase or step (Phase column)

is IN-PROGRESS based off of the Status column on a summary card. From reading responses, it seems I should create a summary cell on my Smartsheet, and then link that cell to my summary to get this to work?

Yes Genevieve, you want to perhaps bring back whatever Phase is currently the one "in progress", is that correct?"

Will my original attemp work in the Smartsheet (and not the summmary)?

I will also try this today when i have a little time!!

=INDEX(COLLECT(Phase:Phase, Status:Status, "IN-PROGRESS"), 1)

Does this mean I cannot use the formula directly in the Summary view for this use

• Genevieve P.
    Options

Hi @joseph_mojo

The INDEX(COLLECT should work in your Summary field! 🙂