Why is this #UNPARSEABLE??

djpreece
djpreece ✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

Hi all,

don't understand why this is ##UNPARSEABLE..

=IF(ISBLANK([Actual Finish Date]39), "",  IF(ISBLANK([Actual Start Date]39), “ERROR1”,   IF([Actual Start Date]39 > [Actual Finish Date]39, "ERROR2" , “” )))

Really appreciate if someone can tell me why...

Thanks

-dp-

Comments

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 02/09/18

I was able to get the following formula to work on a row 23. in my test sheet. If you adjust the row number it should work just fine for you. Not sure what the issue was... The IF argument assumes that if none of the following are true, then it will be blank. 

=IF(ISBLANK([Actual Finish Date]23), "", IF(ISBLANK([Actual Start Date]23), "Error 1", IF([Actual Start Date]23 > [Actual Finish Date]23, "Error 2")))

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Whoops. I had to edit that... there was a minor error in in the last actual finish date. That should work great for you. 

• djpreece
    djpreece ✭✭
    edited 02/09/18

'Thanks Mike, its working, changed case of text and matched your spacing in the formula....but hard to believe that was the cause!

-dp-

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I've had issues where improperly formatted quotation marks can cause that behavior cause Smartsheets doesn't recognize the character as a Quote. Sometimes quotes in Word processing programs substitute smart quotes or characters that actually change the character and therefore don't read right. I use Notepad++, or a similar text editor to ensure my characters are correct. They use plain text instead of HTML and will reveal issues like that.